Crowds at the elections. Photo: Nick Swain

Big crowds at US Election all-nighter

Politics fanatics gathered in the Students’ Union (SU) on Tuesday night to follow the results US presidential election.

The SU provided a large screen and seating for the all-nighter event, and decorated the atrium with American flags and posters.

Hundreds turned up for the start of the event at around 11.30pm, but as the night progressed numbers began to diminish.

For those who were intending to stay the whole night, the Bread Oven supplied American snacks such as popcorn, nachos and hot dogs. There was also a well-stocked bar.

Some even went to the extra effort of dressing up for the event – many students adorned stars and stripes. The odd top hat and “fire Obama!” sign were also spotted.

First-year student Emily Brown said: “He’ s for same-sex marriage, he’s got support from teachers, he’s going to try and get the medical bill through again. He’s doing such a good job, why wouldn’t you vote for Obama?”

However, Politics student Aiden Press completely disagreed, and explained his support for rival candidate Mr Romney: “Although I was an Obama supporter in 2008, I believe Obama has not only failed the American people, but also the people of the world. His policies have been reckless and dangerous.”

Many stayed on to 4.00am, when it was announced to the roaring approval of the crowd that Democrat Barack Obama had defeated his Republican opponent Mitt Romney.

President Obama secured more than the 270 votes in the Electoral College needed to win, with the Democrats also maintaining their majority in the Senate.

Ben Baker, president of the Politics Society, commented on the all-nighter: “The SU seem to have put on a really good event so far tonight, there’s been a really good turnout and everyone’ s been having a great time.”

Mr Baker had predicted the end result correctly, pointing out early suggestions that Obama would “get a few points up in Ohio – so it seems like actually, contrary to the results so far, Obama might comfortably win.”