Why Play Sport at University

Going to university for the first time is possibly one of the most hectic periods of a person’s life. Totally new surroundings, facilities and current students and members of staff do their best to bestow bewilderment on each set of freshers every year. But you’re all aware of that. What is important is that you get involved in as much as you possibly can; after all, these are meant to be the best years of your life, so you don’t want to miss an opportunity and regret it once you’re gone.

Those of you who are sporty and want to play sport will choose to do so, and most likely excel in your chosen field. There’s more to it than that though, and it’s not just about how good you are, but how much you take from participating in sport.

At Warwick there are over 70 different sports clubs which cater for all demographics, from world-beaters to those who just want to have some fun. Joining a sports club allows you to do something that you enjoy, perhaps try something new, and have fun while meeting new people. I certainly would say joining a sports club allowed me to meet people from outside of my course who still shared similar interests to me, and established many firm friends in doing so.

Of course, you also get to do some exercise too! After all, if you don’t fancy going to the gym every day, lifting heavy weights or going on the treadmill, there’s the opportunity for everyone to get involved in something they enjoy and will take plenty from. Besides, if you’re not the sportiest person around then you take it at your own pace and there’s no pressure to play regularly; the facilities are there for whenever you want to use them.

Evidently, sport at Warwick wouldn’t be complete without the sports clubs’ socials every week. Wednesday nights are always big nights at the university because the sports teams hold their circles either off or on campus. This gives everyone a great opportunity to get to know all of the people in their club better and have a great night with them, some of which you’ll never forget. After circling, POP is always full of people from various clubs raving to those cheesy songs from your childhood that you thought you’d forgotten, and arguably the SU’s best night for drink deals.

So what I’m trying to say is, sport is all about having fun, meeting people, and expressing yourself while doing so. You’ll meet people who you’ll know throughout your whole Warwick career, so much so that by the end you’ll wonder what it would have been like without them.

Those who are driven to achieve excellence are also very likely to do so with Warwick’s outstanding sports facilities and coaching, so there’s no need to fret there either. So why not join Warwick sport. At the end of the day, we all need a bit of exercise now and again. Why not make it more exciting?