Warwick named UK’s most digitally savvy university

A recent Virgin Media Business survey had judged the University of Warwick the UK’s most ‘digitally
savvy’ university with 92 percent provision of the services examined.

The research compared the 2013 Guardian University Guide’s top twenty universities for Computer Science and IT and examined whether the universities used new media such as online communications
channels to attract students.

Warwick’s use of intranets, virtual tours and social media to attract students was praised by Virgin
Media Business. Tony Grace, chief operating officer at Virgin Media Business, said that “universities
need to be making the most of new media tools to boost application numbers by interacting with students on whole new level”.

Newcastle University and University College London came second, using 11 out of 13 communication channels analysed as part of the study. Of the universities surveyed, 65 percent used new media
to communicate and engage with students.

Ken Punter, head of digital and online communications at Warwick, said he was “honoured” on behalf of Warwick to receive the accolade.

He added: “For us, digital communication is a key medium – not just for addressing students and potential students but for a vast range of international audiences that are crucial for a globally connected University such as Warwick.”

One History undergraduate praised the audio recording of lectures which she said was “useful during exam period” because “re-listening to key debates really helped me focus my revision”.

However, Oliver Rice, a second-year PPE student, added that Warwick “has to be careful not to tip the
balance” by emphasising slick lecture delivery over innovative and stimulating content.

One first-year undergraduate praised the start.warwick iPhone application for its campus map, travel information and library search function.

She said: “I never would have found the introductory lectures without it!”

Charlie Hindhaugh, UG Social Sciences Faculty Representative at Warwick SU, commented on the impact of interactive facilities on the opportunities for the new partnership between Warwick and Monash University, Australia.

He argues these facilities have “created some really exciting prospects for international teaching”
including the use of video-conferencing for the new inter-disciplinary module on ‘Forms of Identity’
which will be simultaneously taught to students at Warwick and Monash.

The upcoming undergraduate student journal conference ‘Reinvention’, in which Monash has recently
become a co-partner alongside Warwick, will also feature live digital presentations from Monash
students.

Warwick uses a range of digital communication channels including iTunesU, YouTube, the Knowledge Centre, and social media sites Facebook and Twitter.

There are a range of departments at Warwick involved in digital communications including the Internal
Communications Team who are responsible for university intranet and internal communications channels, and the Creative Digital Communications Team who produce video and audio content.