Warwick announces £3 million research partnership with Singapore

**Warwick has entered a “first-of-its-kind” partnership for neuroscience research with Singapore’s renowned Nanyang Technological University (NTU).**

The two institutions, who are also developing a joint PhD in neuroscience, have teamed up for the Warwick-NTU Neuroscience Research@Singapore programme. Their first annual symposium was held at Warwick between 13-15 September.

A spokesperson for Warwick revealed that a total of SGD$6 million (just over £3 million) spread between the two universities will be invested in the project.

The resources at Singapore’s world-renowned Biopolis biomedicine hub will be made available to researchers at Warwick. Biopolis is an international research and development centre for biomedical sciences located in Singapore.

Dr Ayumu Tashiro and Dr Albert Chen have been taken on as the first recruits to the Warwick-NTU joint programme based at Biopolis. A small research team will be formed and a post-doctoral research fellow will be attached to Dr Tashiro and Dr Chen.

Although this is the first partnership of its kind for Warwick, NTU has also partnered with Imperial College London to establish a medical school, one of whose research themes will be neuroscience.

Professor Mark Featherstone, Chair of the School of Biological Sciences at NTU, told the _Boar_ why Warwick was selected as a partner university for this programme.

“Warwick has an international reputation for excellence in neuroscience and we already knew that we could work well together,” he said. “It was also important that Singapore and Warwick could bring complementing strengths in neuroscience to the table.”

The programme will take place in laboratories provided to it by A*Star, Singapore’s government agency dedicated to supporting science, technology and research. The partnership will also enable both universities to participate in the expanding Neuroscience Research Partnership in Singapore, a collaboration between A*Star and Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School.