SU President to take third degree

403793_10100131571686694_591557140_nNick Swain will undertake a third degree whilst he is president of Warwick Students’ Union (SU).

Mr Swain put his case on Tuesday evening to a meeting with Union trustees, including the Sabbatical team. The trustees voted 8-2 in favour of Mr Swain, with two absentees.

On the verdict, Mr Swain told the Boar: “I am very pleased…especially so because I had the chance to speak and it was done by the book. The vote went through the proper channels, with everyone well informed.”

His latest degree is an MA in Creative and Media Enterprises and will run part-time over two years. Mr Swain has already graduated from Warwick twice, firstly in 2008 with Economics and secondly in 2012 with Accounting & Finance.

There had been concerns Mr Swain may neglect his role of president due to the additional workload. At a similar meeting last Tuesday, there was a split vote on the issue.

However, Mr Swain defended his application, saying: “This is not going to be detrimental in anyway to the reputation of the Students’ Union, be it through my work or reputation.”

Mr Swain added the administrators of the part-time degree had given him “extremely great concessions” and insisted it will not impact his daily routine.

James Fleming, second-year Law student, voiced his opinion: “I think as long as Nick is able to balance his competing commitments then I have no issue with him taking on [another] degree.

“However, because it’s a paid position I think it is unfair on the other candidates that would presumably have dedicated more time to the role. I definitely wouldn’t have voted for him if I was aware of his intentions from the outset.”

However, third-year History and Politics student Tom Hatton, said: “As long as Nick Swain does a good job as president, it’s no concern of mine or the student body what he does in his spare time.”