Student stabbed in Coventry suburb

A student living in Coventry has been stabbed three times in the stomach by a burglar who had
broken into his home.

Police and paramedics were immediately called to the house where the incident occurred in Knotting
Way, Copsewood, on the evening of Monday October 2.

Police officers at the scene reported that the student, who lives at the property with his family, had heard a disturbance downstairs and went to investigate.

In doing so, he interrupted the burglar who had managed to gain entry to the house through the back
door. As the student tried to apprehend the intruder he was stabbed three times in the stomach.

A spokesman for West Midlands Police said: “The offender, who is described as a white man, fled the
scene. Officers are following up a number of lines of inquiry including forensic opportunities and a
trawl of CCTV.”

The 24-year-old student was treated at the scene. A spokeswoman for West Midlands Ambulance Service said that his condition was stable and not life-threatening.

Police would not confirm if the student studied at Warwick or Coventry.

This incident came only a matter of weeks after another man pleaded guilty to the unprovoked attack and murder of Coventry masters student Adebayo Adeniran in June.

Kattie Liu, a third-year engineering student living in Coventry, said to the _Boar_: “Hearing about things like this really scares you. I’m lucky enough to have never experienced being burgled, but I have heard of it happening to a lot of students in Coventry, especially during the holidays.

“It would put me off living here, if it wasn’t for the fact that similar things happen in Leamington too. It happens everywhere more or less.”

Ben Sundell, Welfare Officer at the Students’ Union (SU), spoke to the _Boar_ about the stabbing and
student safety in general: “It really is awful to hear of such an incident taking place.

“We would urge all students to do their best to look out for each other in the local area – particularly after dark. Keep in touch with your friends and housemates and ensure you all know where each other are.

“I would also urge everyone to ensure that upmost care is taken with locking your doors and windows
at your house, and not leaving expensive items on display.”

With regards to any students who already have any worries about their safety, Mr Sundell said: “Please do get in touch with the free and confidential Advice Centre at the SU or with the on-campus
policeman – Mick Parkes – whose work is dedicated to ensuring all Warwick Students’ safety.”

W ith this advice in mind, Ms Liu said: “We’ve made sure we have a burglar alarm in place and lock all doors and windows so we should be okay – ‘touch-wood’.”