There are many simple lifestyle choices that can help us live to a ripe old age photo: fotopedia.com

Six ways to live to the age of 100

As students, our life expectancy probably isn’t one of the most pressing topics on our minds – we have the rest of our lives to worry about death, after all. And fortunately, we have been born into a generation with better access to medical treatment than ever before, which is why the average lifespan is rising by three months per year.

Although our chances of reaching 100 are greater than our ancestors’, scientific research shows that our life expectancy is greatly dependent on the specific lifestyle choices that we make.

So: want to live to see your great grand-children and receive a birthday card from the Queen? Follow the Boar’s six tips for longevity.

Be spiritual

According to scientific research, regular churchgoers live longer than people who seldom or never attend worship services. A recent study has shown that people who attended church lived until age 83, compared to those who never attended, who lived until age 75. This association still occurred when factors such as education, income, social ties and health status were controlled.

Additional research found that patients with HIV, heart disease, kidney disease and liver transplants were significantly more likely to survive if they were religious, compared to atheists. Biologically, this may be explained by a protein known as IL-6, which is associated with disease, and is found in greater amounts in patients suffering from illness. Accordingly, religious adults were half as likely to have increased levels of IL-6.

In psychological terms, religion may improve health by offering better coping mechanisms, reducing stress and evoking a more optimistic outlook on life. To get involved with religion on campus visit the chaplaincy, open every day between 7.30am and 10.30pm, or join a religious society. If you’re not religious, try taking up meditation to focus your mind and give you a sense of inner calm. Warwick Meditation and Yoga Club run free sessions every Thursday at 3pm, in H5.45.

Get active

We know by now that exercise delivers a multitude of health benefits: improving oxygen uptake, lowering blood pressure, preventing obesity, improving heart rate and mental well-being, for example. Unsurprisingly, research shows that exercising for just 15 minutes a day can help you live around three years longer, and reduce mortality by 14 per cent.
If you don’t play a team sport, take up jogging, as a study showed that running for one to two-and-a-half hours a week was associated with living an additional 6.2 years for men and 5.6 years for women. This reduced the risk of death by a staggering 44 per cent! Essentially, taking up exercise is a no-brainer, as not only will it make you live longer; you’ll look and feel better in the present.

Have sex

It may sound clichéd, but regular sexual activity really is good for your body as well as your mind. So much so, that it can add up to eight years to your life expectancy. However, it is not just the amount of sex that counts: it’s how satisfying it is, as researchers from the University of California have found that women who had a higher frequency of achieving orgasm during intercourse tended to live longer than their less fulfilled peers.

This may be because sex triggers the release of feel-good hormones like oxytocin and reduces stress levels, which can be damaging for cardiac function. Furthermore, it also burns calories (around 200 in 30 minutes) and therefore improves your metabolic functions.

Be optimistic

According to a study published in the journal Aging, people who possess optimistic, easy-going and extraverted personality characteristics are likely to live longer than those with a pessimistic outlook on life. The results were taken from a sample of near-centenarians with an average age of 97.6, who completed a personality test. As well as being easy-going, interestingly, the oldies scored highly in conscientiousness, suggesting that they were hard-working and motivated.

Whilst you might feel as though you cannot change your personality, an optimistic approach to life can be learned by making a conscious effort to change negative thought processes. Ggive yourself a pat on the back when you achieve something, challenge irrational thoughts (rather than letting them overwhelm you) and don’t forget to smile – it is scientifically proven to make you feel better!

Quit smoking

Research shows that smoking just two cigarettes takes half an hour from your lifespan, which equates to over a week per year. This is not good news, considering that the average smoker smokes 20 cigarettes per day.

Quitting might be tough psychologically, but it is vitally important for your health and life expectancy, as research shows that smokers who quit by age 35 added roughly six years to their lives compared to those who had not given up. For advice and support in giving up smoking, visit Warwick Health Centre or visit smokefree.nhs.uk.

**Cut calories**

Somewhat depressing research in the 1930s by Cornell University suggested that eating 40 per cent less could extend a person’s life by 20 years, and this finding has since been confirmed several times. According to scientists, reducing your food intake for a sustained period of time could boost lifespan by 15 to 30 per cent.

This can be explained by the function of a growth hormone known as IGF-1, which is produced after eating. Low levels of IGF-1 repair damaged cells in the body, but high levels lead to accelerated aging and increase the likelihood of contracting age-related diseases, such as heart disease and dementia. Therefore, consuming more calories results in higher IGF-1 levels and consequently increases the risk of getting a life-threatening disease.

Scientists recommend consuming fewer calories everyday or adopting an intermittent fasting diet, in which you reduce your food intake on alternate days but eat what you like on other days.
However, the research promoting such diets is controversial due to the prevalence of eating disorders in today’s society. Indeed, if you are thinking of changing your eating habits to a low-calorie diet, scientists recommend that you consult your doctor first, to ensure that it is safe and beneficial. Alternatively, you might decide to enjoy your food now and potentially lead a shorter life!

Essentially, we are blessed to be living in an age when science is rapidly uncovering new biological processes that affect aging; and we should use this knowledge to our advantage.
Embrace a healthy lifestyle, challenge pessimistic thoughts and adopt a positive attitude towards life: you only live once, so make it count!