Rootes triumph at Hall Wars

Rootes have been named Hall War champions on campus after gaining victory over Cryfield in this year’s Hall Wars competition.

Rootes achieved the lead early on in the night, though on the final count three halls were closely tied, with Jack Martin in third and Cryfield in second place.

Freshers from halls all around campus descended on the Students’ Union (SU) Copper Rooms for a night of revelry, challenges and inter-hall socialising.

In the quest to find the best halls, students took part in a wide range of games including toilet racing, dance-offs and beer pong.

The teams included Rootes, Cryfield, Westwood, Jack Martin, Arthur Vick, Bluebell, Tocil, Whitefields, Sherbourne and Benefactors.

Students could be seen embracing the competitive spirit of the event. Anna Fothergill, a Cryfield resident said: “I am feeling very excited about our chances and am looking forward to winning again!”. Rootes resident Ali Mortlock told the _Boar_, “Rootes is the best!”

It was not just crowds of enthusiastic freshers who partook in the festivities however. SU President Nick Swain’s request for Carly Rae Jepsen’s hit ‘Call Me Maybe’ was very well received by the crowds, as was his congo line that spanned the length of the Copper Rooms.

The excitement among Rootes’ residents was clear and an impassioned chant of “Rootes” sounded throughout the Copper Rooms after the winners were announced.

The victorious hall have won themselves a party, as well as the perhaps more valued glory that comes with the title.