Is it ever ok to cheat in sport?

Call me a romantic, but as an avid sports fan I like to believe in the ability of the human spirit to overcome all and any obstacles that appear on the horizon. Perhaps that’s why
I count myself as fortunate to live in an era in which incredible athletes continue to smash records on their seemingly inevitable journey into infamy.

We’re privileged to live during an era in which Cristiano Ronaldo can score 150 goals in as many games and still be overshadowed by a 5ft 6 Argentinian with the ability to dribble his way immaculately through a china shop.

We’re privileged to live during the golden era of tennis, witnessing the feats of the greatest player of all time in Rodger Federer and experiencing what many thought would perhaps never happen when Andy Murray became the first British male to win a grand slam in over 76 years.

And we’re privileged to have been able to host such successful and memorable sporting events
as the Olympics and Paralympics this summer; and even luckier to have personally witnessed the incredible achievements of the British team, from Mo Farah to Jessica Ennis.

Despite living in a time of so many sporting greats, whenever I was looking for a way to motivate myself I’d often turn to another individual, whose unparalleled achievements and ability to overcome seemingly any hurdle in his path never failed to leave me awestruck.

Those of you who have seen the 2004 film Dodgeball will know that Vince Vaughan is given some
jaw dropping motivation from an unlikely sporting star who makes a surprising cameo.

The athlete states how he once thought about quitting too, when he was diagnosed with testicular, lung and brain cancer, but once he’d beaten that, he came back to win the Tour De France five times in a row.

As of yesterday, I can no longer rely on this once inspirational individual to keep me motivated and convince me that anything is possible – because Lance Armstrong is a drugs cheat.

The USADA (United States Anti-Doping Association) promised that their report on Armstrong’s alleged doping would be both comprehensive and meticulously detailed and they weren’t exaggerating.

The 1000 page dossier outlines how Armstrong was not only aware of doping within his team, but actively saw that it was enforced and lead by example, regularly depending on EPOs, testosterone and blood transfusions.

Those not comfortable with adhering to such a programme were pushed out of the US Postal Service team and financially or physically coerced into keeping quiet over the illegal activity. In a sport already heavily wounded by numerous drug doping cases against former Tour De France winners, the damning proof that’s come to light regarding cycling’s long time golden boy has weakened the sport even further and reduced my faith in people just that little bit more.

However, in a year of such rich sporting achievement, I’m not prepared to let Lance Armstrong’s
years of deception and cheating ruin my view of those who seek to break records and inspire generations. 2012 has seen British athletes defy all expectations in bringing in a record haul of medals at both the London Paralympic and Olympic games. Athletes like Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt have cemented their places as some of the greatest Olympians the planet has
ever produced.

And, finally, just over a week ago we all witnessed perhaps the most staggering sporting comeback since the miracle of Istanbul in 2005, with European Ryder cup team launching a highly improbable assault on the final 7 holes.

It’s because of these moments that sport will continue to inspire me whenever I need it the most, whilst Lance Armstrong will be rightly confined to the darker corners of its illustrious history.