The Boar likes: Warwick Security

Warwick’s security team generally go fairly unnoticed. Despite their fluorescent jackets and luminous green golf caddy-like buggies that whizz around, issuing a faint buzzing sound as they go, not many of us are aware of their presence unless we actually need something.

Just a few weeks ago, a certain deputy editor and I were saved by these majestic fellows. During a particularly long Sunday putting together the previous edition, we departed SUHQ to stock up on various odd snacks to fuel the next few hours of editing and production. Our thought process went something like this: “Let’s not bother taking our coats or phones, what’s the point? It’s only downstairs,” we mused. “It’s not even raining,” we said.

Then. Much to our dismay, the back door which we had been using to get in and out all day (on
Sundays, this is the only way in and out of SUHQ) had been shut behind us, trapping us outside.
Then it began to rain. After lapping the building twice in a failed attempt to find another
entrance, we dug out debit cards in a pathetic attempt to prise open the fire exit action-movie style. Needless to say, it didn’t work, and we were left pawing helplessly at the doors with just brioche and salad pots for company.

{{quote On a Sunday night, campus is pretty quiet; it was perhaps a blessing that few people were around to witness our frantic pacing and desperate pleas to God }}

Costcutters was shut. The Atrium was locked. Things were looking pretty dark (it was almost
evening). On a Sunday night, campus is pretty quiet; it was perhaps a blessing that few people were around to witness our frantic pacing and desperate pleas to God.

Then, out of the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of a flash of blessed fluorescent yellow.
Though Warwick Security didn’t have the keys to the building, they offered to go and find someone who did, and kindly rang our phones in the office until someone answered and let us back in.

Warwick security are on hand 24/7 to help keep campus safe. Whether it’s an injury, getting you
home after a night out, or simply helping out when you get yourself locked outside the SU, Warwick Security are some under-appreciated members of staff we think deserve a pat on the back.

Warwick security, the _Boar_ salutes you.