They didn’t think it could be done… until now: New York on the cheap

It has to happen to you at one point during a long trip; the moment where everything goes pear-shaped, you end up being ripped off, fed up and down-and-out. For me, this moment inevitably occurred in the middle of the night in New York city, in the oppressive heat with a 20kg backpack strapped to me. “YOU DIDN’T READ THE SMALL PRINT” bellowed the hacked off receptionist at the Chelsea International Hostel from behind dirty glass, before whacking a healthy 18% tax on top of my $70 a night room rate. An hour of arguments, broken keys and numerous angry guests later, we finally arrived in our cell which had a broken blind shielding views of the bins, an air conditioner that only worked if you kicked it and a single plug hanging from a light bulb over the sink. ‘Oh well’, I chirped in an irritatingly optimistic way ‘we’ll just have to make cut-backs elsewhere’… and so began my week in NYC on a budget smaller than my hostel room, and that is saying something.

NYC may be one of the most touristy cities in the world, but if you pick-and-choose your attractions wisely, avoid the tourist trail and instead fill you time with the more quirky diversions, not only will everyone think you are a local, but you’ll experience the real city and save a ridiculous amount of money. Here’s how to do it:

**New York’s best-kept secrets (admission price: free)**

– **Skyline views from the Staten Island ferry **– this free ferry runs every half hour to transport the commuters who are so blasé about the stunning skyline and Statue of Liberty views on their route home. On returning to Battery Park ferry port, you can walk the length of Manhattan Esplanade; 4 miles of stunning waterfront views, sculpture parks and café-strewn piers stretching all the way up to 23rd street.
– **Relax in a park… 30 feet above the city **– The ‘Highline’, a new park developed on an old elevated railway track winds its way through the chimneys and rooftops from 14th to 30th streets and only fully opened last year. Come up here to relax among palm trees and fountains, eat ice cream and listen to live music, and to totally forget about the hustle and bustle going on below.
– **Treasure hunt at the flea markets **– So not entirely free… but don’t forget your haggling skills! New York is packed with these incredible markets, which I feel are the city’s best kept secrets. The pick of the bunch happen at the weekend, such as the Hell’s Kitchen antique jewellery and clothing event every Saturday and Sunday on East 36th St, and the West 77th antique and food market every Sunday. But don’t disregard the Union Square green market happening every weekday in the Flatiron district. Here locals flock to taste freshly baked local delicacies such as Lower East Side salt beef, and rooftop honey from the city bees. Nowhere is better for people watching or just ambling around feeling like a local. Go near Thanksgiving, Halloween or Christmas for a truly festive feel.
– **Walk the Brooklyn Bridge at sunset **– One of the most famous New York sights, for free! Walk through China town then over the bridge for unparalleled views of the city stained pink by the sunset. When you get to the other side, walk through DUMBO (District Under Manhattan Bridge Overpass) and perch in a swish waterfront café between the two most iconic bridges in the world. Definitely an activity for your last night in the city, it’s absolutely awe-inspiring.
– **Do yoga outside the New York Public Library** – The masses flock here to see the site of Carrie Bradshaw’s wedding in the Sex and the City movie, dodge the crowds and partake in a free yoga or tai-chi class every Tuesday or Thursday in the adjoining Bryant Park. Looking for something a little more active? There’s free Fencing tuition every Wednesday.

**Top cheap-eats**

Thankfully, experiencing the best of NYC food and spending a fortune do not come hand in hand. Quite the contrary.

1.**Grab a bagel from a street vendor**. $1 with butter, £2 with Philly cheese or jelly, £2.50 with both. Couldn’t be easier, cheaper or more satisfying. The vendors are on every corner and you’re guaranteed a good conversation too.

2.**Andrew’s Coffee House**, West 38th St and Broadway – For the quintessential diner experience. Unlimited coffee and a muffin the size of your head for $4.

3.**Shake Shack**, Madison Square Park. Grab a stupidly cheap and incredibly good burger and shake from this glorified park kiosk, settle on a bench and watch the world go by. It’s popular though, and queues can stretch around the block after 7pm.

4.**Union Square green market **– Local tradesmen are so keen for you to try their fresh goods that you can create an entire lunch by visiting each stall and lingering for a while. Try the Peach pie.

**Accommodation**

Learn from my mistakes. If you book a hostel in central Manhattan it’s going to break you, especially if it’s near a national holiday such as Labour day. Avoid the most central establishment such as the Chelsea International and the ‘Jazz’ brand of hostel, and instead go for the ‘International Student Centre’ on West 88th Street in the classy Upper West Side; a fantastic red-brick house which borders Central Park. It’s only 10 subway minutes from Times Square and charges a reasonable $35 per night for a spacious dorm, cosy kitchen and lounge areas and free pizza on Tuesdays!

A trip to arguably the most vibrant and popular city on earth is never going to be entirely budget, but remember that in a place where so many cultures meet, there is so much to see that is off the tourist trail. Thinking outside the box will save you money and your experiences will be endlessly more satisfying than a shopping spree in Macy’s.