photo: Susan Parry

Luke makes a splash for charity

A Warwick student paddled for just under ten days from Birmingham to London in a bath tub last month in aid of British Red Cross.

Fourth-year Mechanical Engineering student Luke Parry travelled 136 miles from Birmingham to London down the full stretch of the Grand Union canal.

Luke had to carry all his equipment, including the tub, around 110 locks.

His adventure started in Olton, near Solihull on August 26 and ended in Little Venice near London on September 4.

“It was the most terrific experience imaginable at times,” said Luke.

“Every day I would ache with numerous pains that continued throughout the day and two days it rained constantly. Still, I had the determination to continue on.”

He paddled from 7:30am to 7:30pm at approximately 1mph.

“Everyone couldn’t believe I was in a bathtub and applauded my determined effort. What made the challenge much harder was only having a support team at the very beginning and finish, which altogether stunned most people.

“I honestly couldn’t believe when I reached the finish that I actually managed to achieve the very impossible. Paddling in a bathtub from Birmingham to London despite the many doubters, sceptics, the many troubles and problems I had to overcome. It has shown to me that anything can be done even the craziest of ones.”

Luke has raised more than £1,000, 600 of which in a bucket whilst on the journey.

British Red Cross fundraiser Jackie Ord said: “What Luke has managed to achieve is truly inspirational and everyone at the Red Cross is incredibly grateful for his astonishing pledge to the Red Cross.

“He has managed to raise a fantastic sum that will go a long way to helping vulnerable people in crisis.”

Luke originally planned the event for June but was forced to postpone due to weather conditions.
This is not the first time Luke has taken on a big charity adventure: last year, he raised £1,600 for British Red Cross by cycling from London to Istanbul in five weeks.

Luke is still accepting donations via his website dedicated to the trip: www.bathtubadventure.com.