The Importance of Being Social

As prospective university students preparing to start Warwick in a few weeks, it’s likely that you’re feeling rather nervous. For many, perhaps even most, leaving home and starting university is a daunting prospect – and so is the thought of your newfound independence. You probably have many questions and uncertainties; these concerns are common, but remember that everyone else is in the same boat and will be feeling exactly the same as you. If you need proof, check out websites such as The Student Room, where concerns like this are common.

Joining a society is a good way of integrating into university life and getting to know your fellow students, helping you to make friends. Societies are clubs at university whose purpose is to connect students with similar interests. The range of societies is very large; at Warwick, we have academic, cultural, campaigning and performance societies, amongst many others. There’s even a Cheese and Chocolate Society and Warwick Robot Wars (!). Put simply, there really is a society for everyone.

During my first few months at Warwick, I found societies benefited and supported the process of integration. The Art Society provided me with both a relaxing and stimulating atmosphere, where I could enjoy art and meet people with similar interests. Even so, I chose to explore further societies during my second year, where I soon became involved with Warwick’s leading student publication, The Boar, initially by writing for the newspaper and later by working on the editorial team for the Lifestyle section. Looking back at the first two years of my degree, my involvement with this society has undoubtedly been one of the highlights and I look forward to standing at the Fresher’s Fair next term, encouraging new students to join.

Societies such as these also offer the benefit of experience that adds to your CV. For example, Sarah Olowofoyeku, former vice president of Warwick’s African and Caribbean Society (ACS), said that the society gave her the experience of interacting ‘with the Students’ Union, as well as working/communicating with other societies’. Let’s not forget political societies; Liam Spalding, the former president of Warwick Lib Dems, has said that the society illustrates ‘the immense impact students can have on issues they care about’, whilst also offering students ‘the chance to meet like-minded people’. Spalding adds that many members of such societies ‘have gone on to further success in political careers.

Sport societies can provide students with a unique, fun atmosphere that may be harder to find in other societies. One of the popular sport societies at our university is the Warwick Polo Club. Emily Serraillier, co-social secretary of the club, said that polo is a ‘new and exciting sport’ for many prospective university students who’ve never played it before. Serraillier explains that the society is very welcoming, stating that ‘it is a small, intimate club’ which is ‘like a family’, adding that ‘you can really integrate’ into the society due to its size, encouraging students to have a ‘whack’ at it (no pun intended!).

At Warwick, there is a wide range of societies on offer but if there’s nothing that catches your eye, why not start one yourself? Who knows what it may lead to…