Library refurbishes entrance and floor 4

The entrance to the University library is to be refurbished over the next three weeks in order to reduce congestion.

The Floor 1 entrance will be closed between 20 August and 10 September 2012. Students can access the library through a temporary entrance opposite the Humanities building during this time.

Anna Blackaby, International Press Officer and Faculty of Science Press Officer, said the works are to reduce peak-time congestion. Three additional entrance gates are being added to the library entrance and temperature management is being improved in the area.

In addition, Blackaby explains the redesigning of the Welcome Area will allow staff “to be able to serve wheelchair users from a more suitable position”.

One second-year currently on-campus said, “The resurfacing of Library Road means getting into the library takes a bit more effort, even with the other entrance and signs, but I’ve not noticed any other inconvenience.”

Refurbishment on Floor 4 began on 23 June to provide more quiet study and laptop areas, similar to the current layout of Floor 5.

One first-year English student praised increased laptop areas because “more study space …would hopefully end the annoying pink slip system”.

Full details of temporary stock locations and progress updates during the refurbishment work will be made available on the Library website.