Society awards a “vast improvement” on last year

Last week’s society awards saw the event given a facelift, moving from the Union to a black tie buffet and awards ceremony, and has been deemed “a vast improvement” on last year.

The event, which completely sold out, featured performances by Salsa, Street Vibe, Musical Theatre Warwick and Warwick Drumming Society.

“I decided to change it round a bit, as the recognition for societies was pretty low”, said Warwick Students’ Union (SU) Societies Officer Matthew Rogers, who organised the event.

Although Rogers took inspiration from the Sports Ball, he added that he did try to make it different, “a night of entertainment and celebration”.

According to Rogers, the cost of the event at £15 was kept down by sponsorship and using the Students’ Union catering service. “That brought the cost down quite a lot,” he said, further adding that he would be working with the incoming SU Societies Officer, Silkie Cragg, to seek out additional sponsorship to keep the price low.

“It was a good, fun evening, and hopefully it’ll be even better next year.”

It took Rogers and the other judges 22 hours to decide on the award winners of the night. Warwick Glee were awarded the WINGS award and Classics Society the Warwick Volunteers Community Award.

The Best Non-Social Event was deemed to be the Malaysian Students’ Association Sports Event, whilst Most Improved Society went to Economics Society, Best Exec to Warwick Finance Societies and Best New Society to World @ Warwick.

The accolade of Best Society was awarded to UNICEF on campus, and awards for Outstanding Contribution to Societies at Warwick were also bestowed on Nicky McConkey, Jonathan Sewell, Ben Hamilton and Kirsty Burton.

“I don’t think it could’ve been any better, to be honest”, said Sewell, Chief Engineer and Deputy Station Manager of RaW.

“I think for the price it was, it was very well done,” commented Aranya Rauff-Nisthar, Warwick TV’s Production Manager, adding that it was a “vast improvement” on last year.

Benjamin Hamilton, awarded for his contribution to Opera Warwick, agreed: “I went last year and the difference was astounding,” he commented.

He added that it was “good value for money”, and “some of the acts and the speeches could have been better rehearsed”, but that it “all added to the charm”.

“It recognises the epic amount of work that is put in by so many individuals in societies – not just those who win the awards. Societies are such a dramatically important part of so many students’ lives at Warwick.”