Olympic Torch comes to Leamington Spa

Last Sunday 1 July saw the Olympic Torch arrive and pass through Leamington Spa. The Olympic convoy reached Leamington at approximately 4:58 pm and drove through the town centre without any interruptions.

The atmosphere on the day was extremely uplifting and spirits remained high as the citizens of Leamington experienced a once in a lifetime opportunity to see the Olympic Torch Relay take place on their very doorstep.

The Warwick District Council delegated eight local torchbearers to represent Warwickshire in the relay. Among them was Peter Frazier, the first person officially known to have run a marathon after undergoing a kidney transplant back in May 1981.

The day itself boasted various attractions in the Pump Rooms Gardens, near the Royal Pump Rooms themselves, an award-winning cultural compound situated in the very centre of Leamington. Attractions included a performance by Motionhouse, one of the UK’s top dance theatre companies, as well as recreational activities such as hockey and a climbing wall.

The Olympic Torch event in Leamington Spa happened on the 44th day of the Olympic Torch Relay, with only three weeks now remaining for the Torch to reach London and kick off the London Olympics.