Leaving behind unemployment for volunteering

After graduating from Warwick almost a year ago I was left without a grad scheme, at a crossroads in my life and unsure of what to do next. I never imagined then that my future would involve using long drops, learning Xhosa and being woken each morning by chickens in my room. Yet this is the direction my life took in the form of ICS and I am so grateful that it did.
I have recently returned from three amazing months in South Africa volunteering for a new government funded scheme; International Citizen Service. This programme gives young people aged 18-25 from a wide range of backgrounds the opportunity to spend 12 weeks working in developing countries across Asia and Africa. While on placement volunteers work alongside national locals on development projects which address the needs of the community.

There are a number of organisations who run ICS but I chose to work for youth led development agency Restless Development because I strongly related to their ethos of creating sustainable development by empowering young people to become active global citizens. My placement was based in South Africa, a place often misrepresented by media images of tourists soaking up the sun in the developed and multi-cultural city of Cape Town. This is not the real South Africa, the actuality is a country still damaged by ghosts of apartheid past and filled with corruption, economic inequality, high rates of unemployment and the highest rate of people infected with HIV in the world. These are the real issues facing people in rural South Africa and is at the heart of what Restless Development SA try to address.

During my placement I lived and worked in the rural location of Kwelhera where I was welcomed into the community of Jongilanga. I worked alongside 17 other international and national volunteers. Together we aimed to reach both in and out of school youth with the intention of transferring valuable skills to benefit these young people. We did this through informal education which included the facilitation of workshops on career guidance, finance management, life skills and SRH as well as organising extra curricular debates, games, role plays and sports events. A choir which was set up by volunteers working in the youth center gave young people in the community an opportunity to come together and spend their time productively as well as providing an outlet to express themselves. The positive change I witnessed came from seeing young people who previously lacked confidence and motivation open up and shine.

One of my personal highlights and biggest achievements of the placement occurred during my final week. After weeks of planning and preparation my fellow volunteers and I successfully executed the first ever career information day in the rural community of Zozo. Over 150 community members, elders and school students attended the event to gain vital insight about employment opportunities, bursary schemes and higher education. Without this event the members of Kwelhera would not have had access to this information due to a lack of resources and money. The positive impact of this event was made real to me by the comments of one of my year 12 learners, who wrote to us: ‘This exhibition day can stop crime because the youth is going to be busy as from today by going to the youth center for more education’. This made all the challenges I had faced worthwhile and I was proud to have contributed something to the development of this community.

Personally, this programme has had a significant impact on the attitude and outlook I possess. I grew up having a good standard of education, access to technology, government money ensuring my higher education if chosen, and job opportunities available. These are things that I took for granted because I knew they were a certainty. That is my reality. However, on my ICS placement I found myself living, working and befriending an entire community whose reality was somewhat different. The majority of residents in Kwelera don’t have access to these things. Most people do not possess ICT skills because they have no computers. From my observations the school systems are poor, students do not receive the level of education they should and are often without teachers. Six communities share one clinic. Many school graduates are unable to find employment and can’t afford college or university. I have met so many able young people with big ambitions who are currently unable to actualise them due to limited resources and a lack of opportunities available. This only summarises what I discovered to be an extensive part of life within this community. I now possess an enriched understanding of how fortunate I am and the privileges I have. My time overseas has really opened my eyes and raised my awareness of the extent of development issues in rural South African locations. It has made me aware of the changes that need to be made and how we, in the UK are in a position to support this.

At first the idea of spending three months in a foreign place and different environment with new people was overwhelming but one leap of faith is all it takes to change your life. The personal journey I have undertaken during my time as a volunteer peer educator on ICS has been so rewarding. The diverse group of people I have met and the bonds I have formed with them will stay with me, my heart and mind are full of fantastic memories that I will carry forward. The programme has had a profound impact on me, I have grown and learnt so much from this experience and have returned enlightened, motivated and inspired.

My time in South Africa was not without its challenges but without them especially in reference to this project would not have been an accurate representation of what development entails. It is a long and continuos process that needs people to take an active stand. I am blessed to have had the chance to contribute through ICS and would strongly encourage other young people get involved in what will ultimately be a rewarding and incredible experience. I would do it all over again, long drops and all.

_To find out more about different schemes, you can visit http://www.restlessdevelopment.org/ and http://www.dfid.gov.uk/ICS._