Glühwein, Gartens and Fairytale Castles

The captivating history and culture of Germany is evident in the city of Munich, voted the fourth best city in the world in a recent study, and it is easy to understand how the city earned its prestigious ranking. Munich is home to museums, parks, palaces and acclaimed boutiques, establishing it as a fundamental tourist destination.

One of the main places of interest in the city of Munich is Marienplatz. As one of the most historic parts of Munich, Marienplatz is a haven for both sightseers and shopaholics alike. Upon arriving at Marienplatz, one is immediately greeted by the Rathaus (Town Hall in English), a monumental 19th century building built in Gothic Revival fashion (similar to London’s Houses of Parliament). Beyond this, the attention-grabbing architecture of Munich is put on display through buildings such as the Frauenkirche (Cathedral of Our Dear Lady), built in 1468. A central part to the Marienplatz experience is the marketplace, which in the latter part of the year is transformed into the Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas market). This is the ideal place to buy presents, with a diverse supply of products for sale, ranging from traditional German food and drink (including the infamous Glühwein) to hand-crafted Christmas decorations. Also worth a visit is the beautifully constructed Oberpollinger, which is essentially Germany’s answer to Selfridges.

A much more rural part of Munich worth visiting is the Englischer Garten (English Garden). A beautiful garden stretching 900 acres across North East Munich, the Englischer Garten is quite literally a breath of fresh air. With the River Isar flowing directly through the garden, it is a point of interest for all tourists to Munich at any time of the year, whether during the snowy subzero conditions of winter, or the warm and sunny climate of summer. In the centre of the Englischer Garten resides a hotspot for Christmas tourism, with similar shops to those found in Marienplatz, offering not only carefully crafted goods, but delicious food and drink as well. Also in this central part of the garden is the unusual chineschischer Turm, a Chinese tower with a surrounding beer garden.

A highlight of Munich is the breathtaking Schloss Nymphenburg (Nymphenburg Palace), a luxurious castle dating back to the 17th century. With the admission fee under €10, there is simply no excuse to not visit this masterpiece. The main hall of the palace is a grand affair, endowed with high-ceilings and numerous chandeliers. A multitude of rooms lie beyond this, including dining rooms and the bedrooms of previous rulers of Bavaria, in addition to the birthplace of King Ludwig II of Bavaria. The palace is immersed in a 490-acre garden, including two lakes, two fountains, and a canal. Near to this remarkable historic site is the Botanischer Garten (Botanic Garden). Opening nearly 100 years ago, the gardens, which span 22 hectares, both outside and indoors, are home to approximately 14,000 species of plant, and remain one of the most rewarding places to visit in Munich.

As one of the world’s leading cities, Munich has a wide variety on offer, catering to the tastes of multiple audiences. With historic architecture, a unique shopping district and a plentiful supply of picturesque walks, the city really does have something for everyone. This, in conjunction with the advanced transport network it boasts, justifies Munich’s ranking as the fourth best city in the world.