Warwick Success at Undergraduate of the Year Awards

A Warwick student has won a TARGETjobs Undergraduate of the Year Award and four other students from the University were nominated.

Torgyn Shaikhina, who studies Computer and Information Engineering at Warwick, took home the IT and Computer Science Undergraduate of the Year Award.

Four other Warwick students were nominated across a number of departments. These include: Ajaypal Johal (Arts and Humanities Undergraduate of the Year), Genevieve Shorthouse (Arts and Humanities Undergraduate of the Year), Vikram Bangara (First Year of the Year) and Victor Vas (Accountancy and Economics Undergraduate of the Year).

Shaikhina succeeded in a series of online tests, application forms, interviews and assessment exercises in order to take home the prize of a 12-week summer internship with BT and an HP laptop computer.

She was awarded the IT and Computer Science Undergraduate of the Year prize at a ceremony on Friday 13 April 2012 by host Michael Portillo and Chief Architect Graham Robinson, Software Engineering at BT, who sponsored the award.

The awards are sponsored by top graduate recruiters such as Deloitte, Barclays, Morgan Stanley, Ernst & Young, E.ON and BT, amongst others. Students nominate themselves for an award and are then subjected to a number of tests by both SHL and the individual award sponsors.

There are twelve awards available including Undergraduate of the Year in: Accountancy and Economics; Arts and Humanities; Business and Finance; Construction Engineering and Design; Engineering; First Year; IT and Computer Science; Law; Low Carbon; Management; Social Sciences.