Warwick student skates for charity

Second-year Maths student, Stephen Nand-Lal, is taking part in two inline skating marathons this summer.

He is competing in these races in order to raise money for the British Heart Foundation, as well as the Breast Cancer Campaign.

This is a relatively rare sport in Britain, in which competitors race on inline skates, which are large wheeled skates, similar to rollerblades.

Nand-Lal will be competing in two marathons: firstly, the Great Scottish Skate, which is in Edinburgh on 29th July and secondly the Berlin Inline Skating marathon on 29th September). The Berlin skate is estimated to have around 8000 participants.

Nand-Lal is currently the only student from Warwick competing in these races. However, he commented that “I did hear about it through my links from the Ice Hockey club”.

Nand-Lal, who is Treasurer of Ice Hockey at Warwick, is a keen ice skater and said “ice skating itself helps inline skating”.

Warwick Student Stash, a company run by a Warwick student, has agreed to provide Nand-Lal with clothing to advertise his inline skating events. Warwick Student Stash has also provided him with a section of their website to advertise the events. Shirts to advertise the skating events are also for sale on the Warwick Student Stash website.

Nand-Lal hopes to raise £400 in total, with the amount split equally between the charities. He has currently raised around £138.50, although he is hoping to increase this by improving awareness.

The Virgin Money Giving page for the events can be found at: uk.virginmoneygiving.com/StephenNand-Lal