43 year old man charged after body found near University

A 43-year-old man has been charged with the murder of a missing man from Coventry, whose remains were found near to the University of Warwick.

Two people were arrested on Monday but the 34-year-old woman was subsequently released.

Remains were initially discovered by a dog walker on 26 February in Wainbody Wood, near Gibbet Hill.

The deceased has been named as Hiralal Chauhan, who was initially reported as missing three years ago. Chauhan was 58 at the time his disappearance from his home address of Bowness Close, Radford, was reported. West Midlands Police have confirmed that Chauhan’s body was identified by DNA testing.

A 43-year-old man and a 34-year-old woman were arrested at an address in the Lower Coundon area of Coventry. The suspects were held in custody at Willenhall police station in Coventry, where they were questioned.

Detective Inspector Stuart Bell, who is leading the investigation for West Midlands Police, said: “I am still convinced that there are witnesses who have not yet contacted the police who may have vital information concerning Hiralal Chauhan being in those woods in the spring of 2009.”

Bell urged anyone who may have information about the death of Chauhan to come forward.

He said: “I am keen to hear from anyone who was a frequent visitor to Wainbody Wood both during and before 2009 who may hold what they think is insignificant information but may, in reality, be extremely beneficial to this murder enquiry.”

_This article was updated on 30th May – the 43-year-old man has now been charged for murder, the 34-year-old woman has been released._

Anybody with useful information is asked to contact the incident room on 024 76 539416. Alternatively, they can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.