Societies Officer runs two marathons

Students’ Union Societies Officer, Matt Rogers, completed both the Paris and London marathons this month in order to raise money for the charity, Whizz-Kidz.

So far he has raised £1800 and counting for the charity which finances custom-made wheelchairs and tricycles for disabled children.

Rogers said, “I’ve already done a marathon before, and so felt I needed to double the pain to deserve the sponsorship.

“The amazing work of this charity has benefited friends of mine in the past and I’m passionate about the idea of helping people gain independence.”

He completed the Paris marathon in 5 hours 1 minute, having sustained an ankle injury with 15km still to go, and the London one in 5 hours 11 minutes. He made the decision to undertake the challenge while still at university as “there’s no better time to do it.”

He added that a low point of the London marathon was being overtaken by a rhino.

Other Warwick students running for Whizz-Kidz included Stuart Stanley, David Adelman and Ben Frew.

Katy Crinnion, Whizz-Kidz Events Fundraiser for London Marathon, said: “Matt and his friends are Whizz-Kidz fundraising extraordinaires, putting themselves through two incredible physical challenges – the Paris Marathon and Virgin London Marathon – to raise thousands of pounds for young disabled people’s mobility.

“Their tireless (and tiring!) efforts mean that we can help more children realise their own ambitions and independence; providing new wheelchairs and skills training to youngsters who just want to be kids like their friends. From Whizz-Kidz – and all of the young people’s lives they have changed – will say a huge thank you, and we hope the guys enjoyed their achievements too.”

Rogers added, “a huge thanks to everyone that supported me and donated to this brilliant cause.”

In order to donate go to www.justgiving.com/2marathonmatt