Seoul National University & Warwick University exchange programme

The University of Warwick have signed a student exchange agreement with South Korea’s Seoul National University (SNU). The agreement will allow for up to five students each year to study at SNU and is the first arrangement of its kind made by Warwick with a South Korean university.

Warwick’s Vice-Chancellor, Professor Nigel Thrift, signed the agreement on a recent visit to South Korea as part of a delegation of UK universities organised by the British Council.

Thrift stated: “South Korean higher education is internationalising rapidly. South Korea has always sent many of its students overseas, but it is now determinedly pushing for more foreign students to come to South Korea.

“South Korean universities are pushing hard to make an even bigger impact in the world and, at least to judge by rankings, confidence levels and the state of their campuses, they are clearly succeeding.”

Warwick University Press Officer Peter Dunn added to this, saying: “Warwick is a globally connected university and having a connection to South Korea enhances that.”

When asked about any future partnerships, Dunn commented: “We are also looking at how to expand student exchanges between Warwick and Monash University in Australia.” This comes after an alliance between the two universities was entered into earlier this year, which aims to further enhance Warwick’s international standing.

Warwick has also recently announced its partnership with New York University as part of a consortium of world-class institutions involved in the creation of a “Centre for Urban Science and Progress” in New York. The University of Warwick is the only European University involved in this agreement.

The exchange programme with SNU has been greeted with enthusiasm by students in both Warwick and South Korea. When he spoke about his visit to the country, Vice-Chancellor Nigel Thrift described the positive experiences of students who have already undertaken the trip.

“The British students that I spoke to in South Korea who had made the journey all spoke positively about their experience there,” he said.

Hilda Wong, an international student at Warwick, supported the exchange programme. She commented: “I think international exchanges are really beneficial and interesting. Taking part in an exchange programme is a great way to live in another country while continuing your studies and can be a very rewarding experience.”

Second-year Sociology student Katie Sheppard also added to this, stating: “I think that the exchange programme is a great opportunity for Warwick students to experience living and learning in such a different culture.”

More details about the exchange and which students can apply for it are yet to be confirmed.