How The Light Gets In

HowTheLightGetsIn is the world’s first and by far largest philosophy and music festival that takes place in Hay-on-Wye, a picturesque ‘town of books’ situated on the edge of the Black Mountains.

Organised annually by the Institute of Art and Ideas, it creates an intellectually stimulating atmosphere by featuring numerous, culturally inspired events including talks, debates, live performances, film screenings and many more.

This year’s festival will launch on the 31st of May and will last for ten days until the 10th of June. It will feature 410 different events and will involve 150 bands that are to perform on six stages. 165 internationally acclaimed speakers have been invited to participate in the festival, representing an abundance of expertise, fields of interest and insight.

The guiding theme for this year’s edition is ‘Uncharted Territories: Progress for a new era’, which will focus the initial discussion on the meaning and value of progress and whether there is a need for redefining the term altogether. This introductory debate will feature Giles Fraser, a former Oxford philosopher, a feminist sociologist of science Hillary Rose, environmentalist Bjørn Lomborg and Ziauddin Sardar, nominated by Prospect as one of Britain’s top 100 public intellectuals.

Apart from musical performances and philosophical discussions, HowTheLightGetsIn 2012 will headline topics ranging from sociology, psychology, technology, medicine, religion, art and medicine, all of which are guaranteed to spark debate and reflection.

Some of the more easily recognisable performers and speakers that will participate in the event include former Home Secretary David Blunkett, legendary hip hop artist dan le sac and Welsh songstress Charlotte Church.

Coming from the academic and intellectual scene and taking part in the festival are Harvard Psychology professor Steven Pinker, cyborg scientist Kevin Warwick, inventor of the Microwave James Lovelock and Shakespeare scholar Jonathan Bate, who are all just a fraction of the 165 notable experts and scholars.

HowTheLightGetsIn seems to be one of those few cultural offerings that are not to be missed by anyone who is looking for an unforgettable experience. Described by The Guardian as ‘One of the UK’s hidden gems’, it offers a one of a kind experience, a celebration of the human intellect and potential.

The event’s rich repertoire that features everything from philosophical debates, movie screenings through to night sessions with world-class DJs, attracts a variety of guests and visitors who are bound to leave feeling inspired and revived.