Warwick and Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine collaboration

Warwick has established a new £3 million collaboration with Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine (LSTM).

The partnership will create a joint team of twelve researchers to continue work on tackling diseases across the world.

Professor Janet Hemingway, Director of LSTM, said, “This initiative will build on LSTM’s considerable reputation and provide the springboard for larger scale interdisciplinary…research programmes that draw on the strengths of the University of Warwick.”

“There are a large number of complementary skills between the University of Warwick and LSTM,” said LSTM’s Einion Holland, “[which] if applied to major health issues in the tropics would have a significant impact on the well being of the populations of…disease endemic countries.”

Warwick’s Vice Chancellor Professor Nigel Thrift described the collaboration as an “excellent opportunity for talented researchers to make a significant contribution to the international health agenda.”

According to Warwick’s Head of Communications Peter Dunn, research students will reap most benefit, but added “greater research also helps inspire greater teaching.”

The two organisations have already launched a joint PhD programme and the link will also provide students in both universities a broader range of resources and disciplines.

Holland said the link will also be particularly beneficial for students looking for a career in the Non-Governmental Organisation sector in disease endemic countries.

The University hopes further links with LSTM will be established in the near future.

LSTM is a leading innovator in global health, with research primarily in malaria, TB, HIV and Maternal and Child health, and has a £268 million research portfolio.