Varsity 2012: Warwick 38 Coventry 32

**Brave Women’s Football fall to experienced Coventry**

Victory was always going to be a tough ask for the Warwick Women’s Football team against their Coventry counterparts. Having been beaten 5-0 in an earlier fixture this season, the team were determined to prove their quality. Against a side which contains three players from Coventry City Ladies, who play in the division below the Women’s Super League, they showed their pride in a battling performance.

As expected, the early pressure came from Coventry University, with left winger Helen Dermody (one of the three Coventry City Ladies players, alongside Jade Mellor and ’keeper Adele Rogers) dribbling with intent down the flank to force a corner. There was uncertain defending from the corner, as the ball was bent in right under the bar, with no Warwick player able to get a strong head on the ball.

Yet, this wasn’t how the entire game was going to go. Warwick’s right winger and No. 8, Justine Buckmire, cut inside, turning with ease past her marker but her dangerous through-ball to striker Lauren Quinn was intercepted. It was the start of a decent spell of possession for Warwick.

Yet, the threat from Coventry was always looming as No.15 Dermody whipped in a free kick from the left wing, albeit straight at the Warwick keeper Beth Griffiths, who, bar a single flapped cross, had a solid start to the game.

Dermody, easily Coventry’s most dangerous player, had a shot sail wide, before the momentum swung towards Warwick. Justine Buckmire, who had moments earlier shown her attacking prowess, went on a barnstorming run from the halfway line, leaving two players for dead. Buckmire managed to produce a great cut back to the edge of the box, but unfortunately the shot from the edge of the box was tame from Warwick’s Quinn, having been closed down quickly by a solid Coventry defence.

The team were not to be demoralised, as more intense pressure from Warwick, keeping possession around the Coventry box, which ended in an acrobatic kung-fu style shot from midfielder Phoebe Penfold, which the opposition ‘keeper Adele Rogers did well to hold onto. The team started to get the ball quickly to Buckmire, the most likely Warwick source of creating chances, as she dominated her full-back, going past her at will. Another cut-back was defended in awkward fashion from Coventry, who got away with it, again.

As Warwick piled on the pressure, spaces began to open up in midfield, which Coventry’s creative midfielders began to exploit with relish. It look a great finger-tip save from Griffiths, after a fine weaving dribble from Saddi Shan, the Coventry No.10. Warwick’s struggle to defend aerial balls was telling as Coventry found themselves with a free header from the resultant corner. Fortunately, it sailed wide.

The Coventry experience began to tell as the Warwick keeper Griffiths palmed away a low shot to her right from the influential Dermody, before punching away the inswinging corner with authority. Coventry were beginning to cut through Warwick’s midfield and run at the defence at will, yet the ball didn’t seem to want to go in.

This was epitomised as the Coventry crowd were shocked as playmaker Shan went around the last defender and keeper only to unfathomably smash the ball against the crossbar when it was an open goal. The Coventry attacker could have shot much earlier as well.

Nevertheless, the onslaught continued; Warwick were camped in their own half, still defending through an uneasy combination of grit and luck. It was the former which rose in the next occasion, as Holly Davies hacked the ball clear from the feet of Dermody, who ran at the heart of the Warwick defence, having been played in by a clever backheel and hold-up play from Coventry striker Araina Tompson.

Warwick were unable to release the ball quick enough to Buckmire, as they failed to keep possession for any notable period of time. The frustration of being isolated from the game seemed to result in a rash challenge from the Warwick No. 8 on Coventry’s centre midfielder Butterfield, provoking boos from the Coventry fans and, naturally, cheers from Warwick supporters.

The raising of tempers saw some brief respite for Warwick as Buckmire had a speculative shot, yet it was a rarity as Coventry missed a free header from another wonderful Dermody corner. Warwick refused to give up, forcing a corner down the other end, with Olivia Lonsdale’s knock-down being scrambled clear.

Yet Coventry were able to rely on know-how as Dermody performed a Bergkamp-esque pirouette to play in striker Tompson, who managed to skew the shot over. Further pressure saw Warwick concede a free kick deep in the left channel, which Dermody whipped in. Griffiths uncharacteristically fumbled a simple catch, with the predatory Jamie –Leigh Fowler knocking in the rebound and wheeling away to make it 0-1.

The Warwick resistance was broken, but the Coventry offensive pressure continued, with only a last-ditch tackle from midfielder Michelle Winnard preventing Tompson from making it two. Yet moments later, distaster struck again. Dermody, easily the best player on the pitch, hit an inswinging corner from the left hand side. In a stunning (if lucky) turn of events, the ball went directly over the head of everybody into the far corner to make it 0-2.

Warwick knew it was an uphill struggle against a side that finished 13 points ahead of them in the BUCS Midlands 2A league. The team continued to bravely battle, with Jennifer Clark, having failed to really impose herself on Warwick’s left flank, narrowly firing a free kick over, after Coventry defender Ava Bryne was booked for a mistimed challenge on Buckmire.

Griffiths made amends for her error soon after, rushing out to make a clean sliding tackle on Tompson, from which Warwick counter-attacked with aplomb. Yet, as was the story throughout the night, the finish was lacking. This time, it was Buckmire, whose curled effort landed safely in the hands of the Coventry ’keeper Rogers.

Warwick finally managed to forge some intricate play for substitute Lindsey Dewick to shoot narrowly wide. Warwick were forcing Coventry in their own half, trying to reduce the two-goal deficit with some great heart. There were consecutive corners as the team finally found their aerial threat, leading to multiple goal-line clearances from Coventry. Left winger Clark fizzed a cross in, which fellow winger Buckmire almost tapped in, missing contact by inches.

Dermody, however had the last say, dinking a free kick just over Griffiths’ bar. The girls will be disappointed with a 2-0 defeat given the fight shown, but one can safely say that without the presence of three Premier Division players, Coventry would’ve surely been brought down to size.

**Result: Warwick 0-2 Covenry:** Fowler, Dermody

**MOTM:** Helen Dermody

**Warwick MOTM:** Justine Buckmire

———————————————————————————————

**Murray stunner clinches narrow Varsity win for Men’s Football**

Performances hadn’t matched expectations in recent Varsity football clashes between Warwick and Coventry. Just like last year, the Warwick second, third and fourth teams all failed to net a goal. The first team won in a scrappy 0-0 finale at the Butts Arena, after Dave Holmes’ winning penalty in the subsequent shoot-out.

The quality this time was much better. Coach James Ellis’ side exerted some early pressure, as a header-on from lone striker Tom Newman-Sanders, was chased by winger Tom Murray, with the keeper Mellor rushing out to deny the fresher.

As usual, the game was of high intensity, with tackles flying in from both sides. But it was Coventry who took initiative, with only some stunning rear-guard action from Warwick keeping the score at 0-0. First, there was a stunning goal-saving tackle from left-back Jason Strong, as he somehow managed to get a block on a Demetrius Smickle shot from point-blank range, turning the ball onto the bar from three yards out.

Soon after, Club captain Lewis Treacy made a fine challenge on Coventry striker Tom Astles, with the influential Coventry No.10 Smickle hammering the follow-up way over the bar. Then it was the turn of Coventry’s right winger Matthieu Jackey to find himself clean through, only for Warwick’s Pete Urwin to make a fantastic last-ditch challenge.

Smickle was at the centre of Coventry’s dominance, but couldn’t find any accuracy on his shots, hitting an esay chance wide from six yards out, as the ball fortunately dropped for him from a cross from the left flank.

Warwick tried to stamp their authority on the game, as Andrew Amato clipped a free kick down the left flank to Benji Thompson, but frustratingly it was too long. This brief respite from Coventry dominance was just that as Joe Bloomfield conceded a free-kick 25 yards out. Smickle floated the ball in, only for it to land on the roof of the net.

Warwick flickered intermittently as the unconventional left winger Thompson saw the Coventry keeper off his line, trying a speculative lob from 40 yards out, which fell too short and into the arms of Dale Mellor.

Warwick were struggling to keep possession as the balls played in to hold-up man Newman-Sanders were failing to stick. Another great chance for Coventry was missed as the No.11 Matthieu Jackey smashed the post with a screamer from the edge of the box after a headed clearance from Gareth Roberts dropped short.

The Warwick team weren’t doing themselves any favours as a terrible kick from Rich Alford, the Warwick keeper, saw subsequent pressure from Coventry. Smickle shot low to the near post, but Alford redeemed himself with a smart stop with his feet.

Coventry’s inability to convert their chances led to frustration, with a shocking tackle made on Warwick’s Sam Longden. The temperamental Smickle hammering the loose ball into the crowd.

Warwick were beginning to win lots of free-kicks, capitalising on Coventry’s loss of focus. First team captain Joe Bloomfield was floating in several free-kicks but Mellor was dominant in his area punching the ball away every time.

After an uncharacteristically poor opening, it took a moment of genius to break the deadlock. Fresher Tom Murray took on the ball on the edge of the box, dummied to cut inside twice, beating two players by a run on the outside, before toe-poking the ball through the keeper’s legs to give Warwick an undeserved lead. Shockingly, it was the first Warwick goal in open play in Varsity since 2010!

Yet, Coventry should’ve replied back immediately, as their midfielder Luke Church laughably missed a free header from just one yard out. The pressure of expectation was beginning to tell on Coventry, with centre-back Toomey’s poor pass across his own box being intercepted by Newman-Sanders. The striker laid off the ball to Amato, who disappointingly shanked it high and wide in a clear lack of composure. Yet somehow, Warwick led at the break.

Warwick were slowly clawing their way back into the game with a deft touch from Thompson, just eluding Newman-Sanders as the Mellor collected at his feet. But the momentum was still with Coventry and Warwick weren’t helping themselves with moments of defensive uncertainty.

Smickle’s free kick fell right under Rich Alford’s nose, but Warwick’s keeper fumbled under pressure, but luckily the ball was hacked away by Roberts. This was followed by another free-kick that wasn’t dealt with dealt, as Coventry’s Tom Astles headed wide at the back post.

Warwick began to find their feet midway through the second half as good work from Warwick’s Malta U21 International Amato found Tom Murray in space. The winger’s cutback was deflected into Thompson’s path, but the chance was skewed just wide. The resultant corner was headed narrowly wide by centre-back Pete Urwin at the far post.

To cement Warwick’s newfound composure, coach Ellis replaced the hardworking but ineffectual Newman-Sanders with ex-Valencia CF academy man Javier Hernandez, while Sam Johnson came on for Pete Urwin.

The Spaniard’s impact was almost immediate, but for a shocking offside call by the linesman. Thompson played in Hernandez down the inside-left channel for a one-on-one with the keeper. The latter was easily two yards onside, something that was impossible for the linesman on the opposite side of the pitch to see. There was further interference from the officials as the referee got in the way. This time though, the ball broke in Warwick’s favour. Hernandez bamboozled his defender with stopovers but put too much on the pass for Thompson to reach down the left flank.

Warwick exchanged graft for technique once again as Dutchman Nick Meulenbrook came on for the battling Sam Longden, who hobbled off injured after another poor Coventry tackle. Yet, Coventry weren’t entirely finished spurning great opportunities as substitute Derek Anning, on for Smickle, and Luke Church went for the same near post header. The lack of communication led to the ball trickling wide, in another let off for Warwick.

Warwick performed an identical corner soon after with a mishit header at the near post. As legs got titred, the game became more end-to-end, with Rich Alford redeeming himself for earlier indecision by rushing out and clearing a dangerous through-ball as Derek Anning chased. That was the last of Coventry’s fight as Warwick controlled the closing stages.

Bloomfield flighted in a free-kick from the right flank, but it was headed over by Benji Thompson. Soon after, the ex-Ipswich academy man Bloomfield, easily Warwick’s best player, burst through midfield to the edge of the box. Instead of going it alone with a shot from distance, he tried to play in Meulenbrook, but the chance was cut out.

The below par Benji Thompson had one last chance to stamp his authority on the game, as he was played in by Amato. The left midfielder drove towards the box, curling a right-footed shot to the far post but ball floated high and wide meekly.

It was the last chance of a tough game, which Warwick just about scraped through with victory. After a disappointing end to the season where promotion hopes were dashed in successive BUCS defeats to Nottingham (1-2) and Nottignham Trent (0-4), a Varsity win was the perfect end-of-season tonic.

**Result: Warwick 1-0 Covenry:** Murray

**MOTM:** Demetrius Smickle

**Warwick MOTM:** Joe Bloomfield