Students to pay more for Stagecoach use

Stagecoach has confirmed that as a result of rising costs and a 74 percent Government hike in fuel tax on buses, fares in Warwickshire have been forced up.

Fares across the county rose by just under 5 percent on April 8, affecting students using Stagecoach buses to travel to and from the University who buy their tickets on a daily basis. Despite this rise in costs, it appears as though long term passes, such as the Unirider, may remain at the same price for the next academic year.

The rise in fares reflects a 14 percent rise in the annual cost of motoring. Stagecoach have insisted that they are not unnecessarily raising their prices; according to an independent survey carried out last year, Stagecoach was found to have prices up to 20 percent lower than those of other major operators in the United Kingdom.

Bus operators nationwide have also been faced with a rising cost of labour, energy and insurance costs. The annual Cost Index, which was compiled by the Confederation of Passenger Transport before the fuel tax charges, showed that operating costs in 2011 had already risen by 5 percent.

Steve Burd, Managing Director of Stagecoach Midlands, said that “these damaging Government cuts and tax hike, combined with rising costs, are having a direct impact on bus fares and services across England.”

Recognising the negative feelings of regular commuters, he said: “We share the frustration of our passengers, some of whom are on low incomes. Along with businesses, they are already being squeezed by higher bills and energy prices.”

“We have had to take some very tough decisions, but we have worked hard to keep fares down for those who rely on the bus the most. Our bus services continue to offer a greener, smarter and better value way to travel and we will also continue to re-invest the income from fares in improvements for passengers.”

Fare Revisions for Warwickshire Region:

All adult single fares between 70p & £1.35 will increase by 5p,
Adult single & return fares between £1.40 & £2.50 increase by 10p,
Adult single & return fares between £2.55 & £3.55 increase by 15p,
Adult single & return fares between £3.60 & £4.95 increase by 20p,
Adult single & return fares between £5 & £5.65 increase by 25p,
Adult single & return fares between £5.70 & £7.30 increase by 30p.