Marvel’s: Avengers Assemble

**Plot**

Realising that he is hopelessly outgunned by Hiddleston’s character, Fury realises that the abandoned Avengers project is his only hope of being able to retrieve the Teseract and save the earth in the process.

But with the numerous superheroes spread across the globe, will he really be able to bring them all together, not only within the same room, but as a team fighting with and for each other for the same great cause?

**Review**

Last week thanks to the generosity of my friend and avid Marvel fan Said, I was lucky enough to attend the first screening of Marvel’s Avengers Assemble in the UK.
Two weeks before its official UK release and three weeks before its US release, I must admit I felt like an intruder amongst the hordes of Marvel fans who surrounded me, clearly bursting with anticipation for the film adaptation they had all waited so long for.

There were endless Avenger’s tees, young girls dressed up as Scarlett Johansson’s character, Black Widow, and more pale anaemic skin than I’d previously thought possible to be around. Sure enough I was at the very heart of the UK’s Marvel fan base, at a screening I’d only found out I’d be attending just a day earlier. Therefore, regardless of how ill equipped I felt, I allowed myself to be enveloped by the sheer hysteria and suspense that was building as each minute passed and the screening drew ever closer.

Even if you’re far from an avid cinemagoer, over the past few years it has become near impossible to avoid the string of comic book adaptations, making up a large percentage of our summer film fare.
Following the success of Iron Man, Marvel Studios endeavoured to churn out the necessary superhero films needed to precede the film we all wanted to see, with The Incredible Hulk (the only recent incarnation Marvel would like you to remember), Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger being released in quick succession.

One of the biggest questions surrounding whether Joss Whedon could create a successful adaptation of the Avengers on the big screen, was whether the director would be able to weave together the various sections of the Marvel Universe effectively.

During the first act, those unaware of the narrative intricacies of each of the previous films, may struggle to understand what is a fairly dense portion of discussion amongst the various superheroes.
Fortunately Whedon doesn’t waste much time setting up the plot and what follows the early section of the film more than makes up for its early talkative nature.
Despite the film’s undoubtedly impressive special effects, much of its success is down to the strong performances of its charismatic cast and the joke laden script that ensures each character is given a number of crowd pleasing lines.

Robert Downey Jr. as usual revels in the dry wit and arrogance of Tony Stark, delivering many brazen jibes that will ensure that fans of the “billionaire, playboy, philanthropist” are well satisfied. Chris Hemsworth, who impressed in Thor, seems every inch the Asgardian God he plays, with many strong lines to convey his amusement at those “petty” and “small” humans who surround him.
Tom Hiddleston (the best thing about Thor (2011)) returns as Loki an enemy that seems truly threatening and carries with him a malicious gravitas that enables him to compete with the charisma and confidence of those who seek to stop him. In amongst all his monologues of world domination, Hiddleston’s character also provides arguably the film’s biggest laugh, due to an unfortunate encounter with a large, angry, green individual.

{{ quote Michael Bay could learn a lot from the way Whedon has handled a number of potentially combustible elements, for at no point does his film feel as hollow and heartless as the CGI laden Transformer’s franchise}}

Captain America’s Chris Evans, whilst not the most charismatic of characters, delivers a convincing performance as the conflicted hero, still coming to terms with the world he now finds himself in, but without a doubt the star turn of the film comes from Mark Ruffalo as Dr. Bruce Banner (a.k.a. Hulk).

Whilst I was a big fan of Edward Norton’s subtle yet powerful performance as the tortured Dr. Banner in 2008’s The Incredible Hulk, Ruffalo seems so perfect for the role, it’s a wonder he wasn’t approached earlier. Similarly to Norton, Ruffalo delivers a subtle, yet heartfelt performance that captures the inner torment of Banner’s character exquisitely, contrasting well with “the enormous green rage monster” that provides some of the film’s most satisfying moments.
His amusing back and forth with Stark provides an unexpected yet enjoyable dynamic that helps to make the hero’s comradery seem far more believable.

Despite the fact that some heroes are obviously far more powerful than the others, Whedon allows the team’s less supernaturally gifted members, their own moments to shine, with both Black Widow and Jeremy Renner’s Hawkeye impressing with their ability to escape from tight situations with relative ease.

Another aspect key to the film’s success is that the audience actually believes that the Avenger’s are in danger from the enemies they face, rather than them seeming impervious to all attacks with their victory simply inevitability.
The lack of information revealed about the army Loki has at his command, and the mysterious alien race they originate from, helps to generate suspense, so that when they are finally revealed we genuinely fear for the film’s protagonists.

Similarly, the limitations of Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury’s otherwise impressive human technology are constantly emphasised by the portrayal of Loki’s Godly strength and his seemingly superior sense of logic, so that just as we feel our heroes have earned a respite, the metaphorical carpet is pulled from underneath their feet.

Michael Bay could learn a lot from the way Whedon has handled a number of potentially combustible elements, for at no point does his film feel as hollow and heartless as the CGI laden Transformer’s franchise (despite a remarkably familiar mechanic serpent.)

Whedon has managed to navigate the difficult balancing act of action sequences and character/plot development perfectly, with frequent humorous quips within the script ensuring that (the fairly substantial running time) flies by.

With such a collection of heroes, the various battles throughout the feature and numerous superhuman abilities on show are undoubtedly enthralling, yet we are never left to revel in such spectacle for too long, with the characters frequently addressing the main plotline and stakes of their mission.

Much of what the Serenity director manages to achieve within the film is hardly new, yet unlike superhero films that can be accused of getting bogged down in CGI set pieces, Avengers Assemble has a enough heart and charm to it, to leave even the most meticulous of comic book aficionados applauding the crew’s effort.

As the first big blockbuster of the summer Avengers Assemble will certainly satisfy fan’s expectations and consequently provides one of the best examples of well-made popcorn cinema for audiences everywhere.

• His expression in the sencod one just kills me, he’s so kissable. And the last one, his eyes! Our five brown eyed ones came BROWN, but J’s were a dark silvery grey and then turned light blue. I’m curious to see what happens!