Graduate murder sparks Chinese political scandal

A former Politics student, Neil Heywood, who graduated from Warwick University with a 2:2 in 1992, was found dead in his hotel room in Chongqing, China, on 14 November 2011. It has since emerged that he was murdered, after initial reports stated that he had died of alcohol poisoning.

Chinese Businesswoman Gu Kailai, and wife of Bo Xilai, a high ranking figure in the Communist Party, is suspected of the murder of Mr. Heywood. Heywood was an associate of Bo and Gu and dealt with their finances.

The murder has sparked China’s biggest political scandal in years after Bo Xilai was suspended from the politburo for ‘serious disciplinary violations’ due to his wife’s alleged involvement in the death. He was tipped for a top post in China’s upcoming leadership change this year.

There have been allegations that the murder was covered up by Chinese police officials as the British Government was not alerted to the suspicious circumstances surrounding the death until months later. Prime Minister David Cameron raised concerns with a visiting member of the Chinese politburo, Li Changchun, at No 10 this week.

Heywood and Gu had an close personal relationship, the Daily Mail suggested they had an extra-marital affair. The Daily Telegraph reported that Gu had Heywood killed after he threatened to reveal incriminating financial transactions.

Heywood, who was 41 at the time of his death, operated a consultancy business which focused on helping UK businesses in the China, with high profile clients including Rolls Royce and Aston Martin dealerships in Beijing.