V ’12: Cricket to hit Cov for six

When asked about his last outing at Varsity, a rueful smile plays over 1st team cricket captain Ajay Soni’s lips. The finest of margins – a tie which was awarded in Coventry’s favour by virtue of a superior number of wickets in hand – thwarted the cricket team’s attempts to bring home the bacon for Warwick. It remains Soni’s task to put the past to rights.

Varsity cricket is vastly different to the professional game’s usual hallmarks of measured and patient outdoor play; instead morphing into an indoor slog-fest in which madness usually precedes method.

With both sides only afforded six players and twelve overs each, Soni recognises that the only antidote to Warwick’s recent lack of success is to build up as much experience as possible in a format that is unfamiliar to many of the team. “We’ve been playing indoor, inter-club friendlies as well as matches against other universities, including Coventry which we tied.”

A result that dredged up unwanted memories, perhaps, but it is clear that a refined effort in preparations for Varsity is taking place this year.

Warwick may just have an excuse for their recent misfortune, too. Two successive promotions in outdoor cricket certainly points to the fact that this is a sports club who abstain from resting on their laurels.

And as the history of international cricket suggests, to be top dog in all formats of the game is a near impossible feat. However, according to Soni, there is enough talent throughout the 1st, 2nd and 3rd teams to achieve indoor success.

“One thing we’ve tried to emphasise is the dynamics of the team. With indoor cricket you can’t afford to just be a batsman or a bowler, so we’ve had a few all-rounders come in. In six-a-side you almost have to do everything.”

Having been an integral part of the cricket set up for his entire tenure at Warwick, Soni has managed to seamlessly transition into a senior role for his final year. Other stalwarts such as Club President Ronnie Dey and Club Captain Ben Marjot have ensured that there has been some stability in the often revolving door of university sport. All three have suffered frustration at the hands of Coventry – Varsity 2012 is the opportune time to administer some revenge.

That revenge could be made all the sweeter against a Coventry side that Soni describes as “cocky”. Aren’t Warwick too?

Soni laughs. “We don’t mind a bit of banter, and they’ve obviously had the edge the last couple of years. We’ve got to make sure we put that right this time around.”

If the right balance is found, on the 10th of March those past ghosts may just be bowled over once and for all.