Big Band bus catches fire on main road

A coach carrying members of Warwick Big Band caught on fire on Friday as it travelled on a main road towards Sunderland.

The 38 students on board were set to perform at the Great North Jazz Festival when the fire forced them to pull over.

Students’ Union Societies Officer Matt Rogers was on the coach when it happened. “The driver suddenly slammed on the brakes and yelled at everyone to disembark. Smoke started to appear everywhere from the middle of the coach and we got off sharpish” said Rogers. “The emergency services were called, and three fire engines arrived.”

Whilst waiting for the fire engine, some students hitchhiked from the hard shoulder. “We kept in good spirits and no one was too worried as everyone was safe” said Rogers. “The driver knew what he was doing.”

Other students rescued instruments from the back of the coach. A small number suffered minor smoke damage.

One lane of the road was closed, causing a six mile tailback. The blockage was so bad it was reported in the radio traffic updates.“Apparently we made Radio One” said Rogers.

Tour leader Amy Bradford was praised for her management of the situation. “She kept really calm and positive throughout the whole thing” said one second-year student.

Although a replacement coach took more than two hours to arrive, Big Band arrived on time for their performance.

The coach company is one usually used by the University.