Newly elected Welfare Officer Ben Hodges stepping down

Last night’s Union Council began with the shock announcement that Welfare & Campaigns Officer-elect, Ben Hodges, would not be taking up his post for the 2012/2013 academic year.

A statement released on the Students’ Union (SU), website shortly afterwards stated the following:

Following an extraordinarily difficult decision on his part we must announce that Ben Hodges will not be taking up his post as Welfare & Campaigns Officer for the academic year 2012/13.  Not long after elections week Ben received a job offer that comes around very rarely that he simply could not refuse. Whilst he regrets not being able to take up his elected post he could not risk this incredible opportunity for what he is sure would have been a brilliant year.  All of us at Warwick SU wish him the very best for the future.

It added that there will be a fresh cross-campus ballot early in third term to select a new Officer. Nominations will be re-opened.

A winning candidate has not stepped down from their position in over twenty years.

The _Boar_ spoke to Hodges about his decision to step down. He will be taking up a role as a Trainee Underwriter in Energy at Swiss Re.

He explained initially taking up the post on confusion over the availability of deferral schemes: “I fully expected to be able to take the position. Most of the roles I applied for had deferral schemes and I understood that this role did also.”

Hodges said that he received the offer from Swiss Re. on Thursday 8 March, but delayed his decision until yesterday in order to consult with friends, family and the current Sabbatical Officers.

He said his decision was primarily based on the nature of the offer he had been given. “It is the best offer that I could ever receive in the field I want to build a career in.” He said that he had formerly demonstrated his commitment to the role by turning down another job offer from a different company on Wednesday 7 March, because “I was really excited to work as the Welfare and Campaigns Officer.”

“Over the weekend it became clear to me that I could not risk my future, even for what would have been probably the best and most rewarding year of my life.”

Some students have criticised Hodges for the need to hold another set of elections for the now vacant post.

One student on the Overheard at Warwick group said: “It’s rather unfair on other candidates for someone to take the place and then throw it back in the rest of the candidates faces. Hell I even voted for this guy but it still calls into question the dedication of candidates if they”re using Warwick SU as an insurance policy.”

Hodges added that he felt “terrible for forcing a new round of elections. I understand the difficulties that they will pose to everyone involved, for both those running and those organising them.” He also commented: “I feel particularly sorry for Chris Luck and his colleagues who did a fantastic job and put in so much work.”

Helen Gould, SU Women’s Officer, who ran against Hodges in the election, said that “It makes sense” to re-open nominations. “Some people might not have run because of the candidates who ran last time, or voters may have made different decisions depending on who was running, or some people might not run this time. It’s the fairer alternative, really.”

On re-opening nominations, Chris Luck, SU Democracy Officer, stated: “It’s the fairest thing to do. If the elections were run under FPTP then it would be easier to choose the second-place student. Under STV it is more complicated, we don’t know how students would have wanted to vote under a different line-up. It questions the mandate of the person who came second as they weren’t elected by the student body.”

On his decision to prioritise the job offer, Gould commented, “I think it’s fine” and added “There’s no law saying people interested in insurance can’t be interested in welfare too.”

SU President Leo Boe was similarly supportive of Hodges: “It is right that Ben has put himself first within this context. I’m sure it was a hard decision to make, but I have no doubt that for him it is the right one. Job security at the moment is something many students are worried about, and if this was a once in a lifetime shot at secure employment, then I am not surprised that he prioritised it above a one year sabbatical position. I wish him all the best!”

Hodges also said that he would “like to thank everyone who has supported me throughout this really difficult period. Particular thanks has to go to the current sabbatical team who have been genuinely lovely and understanding throughout.

I hope that everyone understands that this was not an easy decision and that I am devastated that I have to turn down the position as I was looking forward to it so much.”