Warwick Rowing Senior Women dominate BUCS

Having had a less than desirable term for racing due to unfortunate weather conditions, the Warwick Rowing senior women were eager to get competitive and take a position at BUCS that their hard work deserved.

The women rowed up to the start with confidence, focusing on the race that was to come and the potential for success. The race itself was stable with the girls laying down their power and fitness onto the water with consistency, regardless of a mid-race blade clash, an incident which could have ruined their performance. However, the girls continued with confidence and determination, taking on the harsh head wind and pushing through other crews with aggression. By the end every girl knew they had given their absolute all and could only wait to see if it was enough. Indeed they were rewarded with a fantastic placing of 2nd in the IM3 VIII division, a Warwick Record.

The crew comprised of cox Zoe Buckland, Sarah White, Captain Carmel Smith, Flavie Bahuaud, Millie Spellman, Karen Donaldson, Robin Pflughaupt, Lauren Rutter and Catherine Stuart.

Later that day the IV raced. Inspired by the VIII’s result and determined to do the club proud, the crew went into the race with the same attitude. In the warm-up the girls took their time getting used to the smaller boat, yet rowed knowing they had the talent to succeed. The race was powerful, aggressive and had great rhythm. The girls overtook 3 crews, barely noticing their presence but instead pushing through them, maintaining their own strong rhythm and continuing onwards towards a result. And that they achieved, coming a phenomenal 1st place in IM3 with the 4th quickest IV time of the day for Senior Women. An astonishing result and another record for Warwick women.

The crew for this race featured Priya Sinha as cox, Karen Donaldson, Flavie Bauhuaud, the captain Carmel Smith and Sarah White.

Both these results were amazing achievements for the women and the club, setting the girls in a great position for the notorious Women’s Head of the River race in a couple of weeks.