Student wins £9,000 from local pub

Warwick student Oscar Archer has won ‘a year’s tuition fees’ by scanning a QR code at The Jug and Jester pub in Leamington.

The second-year Maths student was presented with the cheque for £9,000 by Wetherspoon pub manager Andy Tompkins after he entered the competition by scanning a beer mat with his phone.

The student initiative was jointly run by Wetherspoon, Bacardi Brown-Forman Brands and Carlsberg UK.

By scanning one of the four coloured beer mats, students were immediately entered into the prize draw for a number of discounts on food and drink at a number of Wetherspoon pubs.

“I was incredibly lucky; I’d never scanned a QR code before and was just curious!” said Archer. “Of course, I’m absolutely thrilled to have won. When I entered the competition, the possibility of winning never really occurred to me, so it was a very nice surprise when they let me know!”

Commercial director for Wetherspoon, Rebecca Payton, said, “More than 3,000 students entered their name for the prize draw and Oscar was the lucky winner.

“We were delighted with the response from students and pleased for Oscar, who is now £9,000 better off, simply for scanning a beer mat.”

It comes as part of the Wetherspoon Unlocked App campaign.

Oscar said, “I’ve not quite decided what I’m going to do with the money. I imagine I’ll probably save it until after I graduate!”