Recycled clothing: going green is back in vogue

The word ‘environmentalism’ has somewhat negative connotations. It can conjure images of disillusioned radical left-wing university students acting as rebels without a cause, or estranged middle aged hippies who, in refusing to relinquish the idealism of the swinging 1960s, resort to ostracising themselves to an existence in some remote forest.

Ultimately, environmentalism is largely assumed to renounce modernity in all its ‘malign’ forms, and as such, a fashion show may seem like a contradictory manifestation of promoting a greener lifestyle. But I have recently been personally involved in organising ‘The Ethical Fashion Show’, a catwalk extravaganza showcasing an array of trendsetting outfits entirely assembled from Leamington charity shops’ unwanted gems.

What one will see in Thursday evening’s festival, with its line of reused, recycled and fashionable attire, is the importance of your purchasing power in limiting injustices made to the environment and those in the third world’s poorest communities – two entities which are simultaneously exploited in the production of clothes and their related commodities.

The Ethical Consumer magazine claims that in today’s society, your money is your vote. In the fast, globalising world we live in, where multinational corporations are playing a larger role in world politics, the money you spend defines your position on issues from climate change to human rights. Now more than ever, the things we buy and consume link us to a huge range of social, economic, political and environmental issues – many of which we are unaware of given the efforts of large corporations to keep daunting facts away from popular knowledge. If people knew the poor human rights record of their favourite high street brands, namely River Island, Bon Marché and Matalan, they may think twice before purchasing their latest ‘must have’ leopard print leotard.

Choosing to buy more ethical products can effect positive change and buying garments from charity shops enforces this on three fronts. Environmentally, recycling clothes causes less harm to our planet. By buying clothes which are in good enough condition to be reused, we are preventing the unnecessary extraction of raw materials to meet consumer demand. In addition, venturing out to your local charity shop works wonders in reducing your carbon footprint, and is more environmentally friendly than paying gross amounts to ship an Abercrombie gilet from a Chinese seller on eBay.

In terms of human rights, charity shops such as Oxfam have an extensive range of fair-trade clothes, where the fair-trade mark acts as a guarantee for aided development, ensuring disadvantaged farmers and workers get a better deal. Lastly, if these benefits are not enough persuade you to the cause, the benefit of unearthing a timeless vintage piece at such fabulously discounted charity shop prices will undoubtedly give you more for your money – saving your student accounts from dipping into those ever-feared over drafts.

Arguments against ethical consumerism (in that it is the ultimate oxymoron) lead us to question whether we should be shopping at all – and indeed the most ‘ethical’ thing to do is often to not buy at all. But the reality is that most university students aren’t going to suddenly stop shopping, or stop caring about what they wear. We do live in a materialistic world, and we are often judged on our appearances. Something we can feasibly do though is to become aware of the effect of our clothes on the environment, learn about alternatives, and then make informed decisions.

The purpose of this Ethical Fashion Show is to highlight various issues with the fashion industry, as well as celebrate alternatives, in the hope that it encourages people to engage critically with the idea that our actions here and now affect people all over the world now, and will ultimately have an effect on the future of the planet. It’s time for us to take initiative. It’s time for us to cotton on to clothes with moral fibre.