NHS shortcomings are just sickening

_“Are you wearing a bra? If so, please remove it immediately.”_

Not something I expected to be hollered at me across the waiting room by some surly receptionist in A & E whilst waiting for a chest X-ray. Funny? Yes of course. But there’s something seriously wrong with our healthcare system as I see it.

Having landed in hospital in Coventry with septicaemia, I was in for a shock. I just (call me old fashioned) expected to leave with my dignity and human rights vaguely intact. The frustration also comes from the fact I’ll spend the rest of my life contributing to this system.

There’s no point in the NHS shelling out hundreds of thousands of pounds on medication, when patients’ basic needs are neglected. The hospital failed to offer me a glass of water for my entire stay, which is, quite frankly, dangerous.

In addition, when you’re admitted to hospital you expect to be treated in a clean environment. You don’t expect your lovely, fluffy white socks to be made filthy just walking to the bathroom. Nor do you expect to feel the crunch of broken glass underfoot in the ward. Worse still, it’s appalling to have to pick broken glass out of your hospital bed in the middle of the night. Hygiene on wards should be of the utmost importance to the NHS.

I was one of the lucky ones. I’m frightened of growing old in a system where an elderly lady was left to cry in pain for an entire night. Of course, you can press your buzzer “if you need us at any time”. Don’t worry about that, there’s no danger of a nurse coming to help any time soon.

I’m also shocked at the level of dignity afforded to those who aren’t able to take themselves to the bathroom without help. The whole bedpan business is done in full view of the rest of the ward, with loud and graphic descriptions for all to hear. When I’m elderly, I hope to be treated with more respect and dignity than that.

There were times during the night at which I felt my own personal safety to be at risk. Even emergency admission wards should be separated by gender. Men should not wander into the womens’ section of the ward, let alone into your own cubicle in the middle of the night.

It’s when you need the NHS the most that you’re not able to stand up for your own rights and fight your corner. You’re too ill. We don’t think about the NHS until we badly need it. That short stay in hospital opened my eyes to the everyday reality of our healthcare system. It’s frightening.

When I took my dog to the vets to be spayed, she got a clean cage, a regular supply of water and constant check-ups by a nurse. I’ve reached the end of my tether with the NHS. Next time I’m ill, I’ll take my chances at the vets. I’ll go private, like my dog.