Latin and Ballroom land role in BBC series

Eight members of Warwick Latin and Ballroom Dancesport (Warwick L&B) have been rubbing shoulders with the stars after being filmed as extras on the BBC’s new drama series _Dancing on the Edge_.

Directed by the award-winning filmmaker Stephen Poliakoff, the five-part series tracks the fate of the Louis Lester Jazz Band, seeking fame and fortune in 1930’s London, while becoming hopelessly entangled in the dark world of the aristocracy. The cast featured such names as Chiwetel Ejiofor (American Gangster, SALT), Matthew Goode (Watchmen), and of course the background role for Warwick L&B.

The eight Warwick L&B dancers took part in three to nine days of shooting in a variety of prestigious locations across Birmingham. In this time they fulfilled the roles of party goers in the Grand Hotel and played hotel guests in the Council House in Victoria Square.

Some days they began as early as 6:30 AM for make-up, and often did not finish until after 10 PM. The long days weren’t the only test for the group; they also had to battle the winter chill on set. Joshua Scotton (Secretary, Warwick L&B) described how the boys “had to wear coats in between the takes and hide them under the tablecloths when the filming started”.

The society now has to turn their attention to the fast-approaching National Competition in Blackpool on Saturday 3 March. Scotton said that, for them, “Blackpool is where it counts”.