Is green living incompatible with a student-sized budget?

Few of us outside the far-right groups in America would argue that climate change is a myth, or merely a natural phenomenon. We are aware that our actions have severe consequences for the environment and the future generations left to deal with the effects.

But, as students, being green is often overshadowed by other concerns. Balancing essays with nights out, keeping track of our finances… is it possible to help save our planet without it costing the earth?

Valentine’s Day has painfully reinforced the stigma attached to stinginess, even amongst fellow students. Unfortunately, this is not a sentiment confined only to such celebrations. Whilst living within the constraints of the measly loan instalments, we are expected to keep up with numerous nights out, rent payments and book costs without complaint. Penny-pinching, as difficult as it may be, is rarely an acceptable art form. Yet by applying some eco-friendly principles, it seems that we can do our bit for the environment whilst saving money – and face.

With the weather getting warmer, it’s finally bearable to turn the thermostat down. In a shared house this can be an unpopular move, when your housemates feel that their human rights are threatened if they are unable to walk round in vests and shorts in mid-February. Here, suggestions that money may be saved, alongside the idea that this can contribute to reducing the communal carbon footprint, makes the move much more appealing. Allegedly, every degree you reduce the heating by knocks around 3 percent off your heating bill and will significantly reduce the amount of CO2 given off.

Likewise, electricity bills can be trimmed down, reducing CO2 emissions even further. Obvious things like turning lights off, not leaving TVs on standby and even turning your laptop off at night can save a tidy amount on household totals. It may also give you a better chance of waking up for your 9am lecture.

Save on gym membership by walking whenever possible. Granted, it might be a struggle to make campus from Leamington, but for the more adventurous a bike is likely to cost a lot less than a bus pass (and will probably get you there faster in rush hour).If you’re lucky enough to own a car, try leaving it at home. Not only will you save on petrol and parking costs, you won’t have the stress of finding a parking space to contend with. If you really can’t do without it, fill it with friends who will likely be all too grateful for a warm, reliable mode of transport. They may even reimburse you for your kindness.

Borrow things rather than buying them. Reducing your carbon footprint seems like the perfect excuse to get your hands on that item you were contemplating buying, without parting with your hard-saved pennies. If you do have to buy, then try buying second-hand; again, this will not only save money but also reduces your carbon footprint. Sometimes you may not even have to buy if you make good use of sites like freecycle.org. Reusing stuff means less energy is wasted in the production of new things, or at least that’s what you can tell your flatmates…

Cooking vegetarian meals will definitely cost less. Halving meat consumption in the UK is thought to have more of an effect than halving private transport use, if you believe Paul McCartney. Even one meat-free day a week is likely to save you a tidy sum, especially if that just so happens to be the day it’s your turn to cook for the house.

It seems that being green and being thrifty go hand-in-hand for students. Doing your bit for the environment will be rewarded by a loan that goes even further without accusations of stinginess. Of course, how far you take the eco-friendly philosophy is up to you. The more enthusiastic among us could take up veganism, homebrewing or even freeganism (basically eating stuff found in supermarket bins). Whatever your level of commitment or motivation, it seems that both Mother Earth, and your bank account, will be eternally grateful.