Going green: the economy and the ecology

As Go Green Week encourages us all to think about our impact on the planet and make an effort to save energy, electricity and fuel, the Boar presents to you a multitude of tips: The Lazy Man’s Guide to Saving the Planet.

– If you’re not in a room, turn the light off; only pansies are afraid of the dark.

– Taking a girl on a date? Ditch the car and walk. Tell her to put on her comfy Converse and say you fancied a romantic walk with her – guaranteed boyfriend brownie points.

– Use energy-efficient light bulbs. They last up to ten times longer than ordinary bulbs, meaning we have to change them less often, which ultimately saves some pennies. Win- win!

– Turn the laptop off: this stops wasteful electricity when you’re not using it and prevents your housemates threatening to ruin any street cred you might have with a swift and mighty Frape.

– Too lazy to walk to North Leamington to see those long-lost hall mates this winter? If you must drive, drive skilfully. I don’t mean showcasing handbrake turns down the parade. Rather, sticking to the speed limit not only reduces fuel consumption but also means not risking pesky points on your licence!

– Better still, get the bus. You’d be surprised how much easier that 9am lecture becomes with the extra twenty-minute nap.

– Do your weekly shop online; one less car on the road adding to carbon emissions and you feel like a king when those Super Noodles are delivered to your door.

– Going Green: Making Women Beautiful Since 2012

– Shower rather than bathe. In addition to saving water, showering has been proven to boost circulation meaning arguably you start the day looking more attractive. Ok, it won’t change your face, but a youthful glow rather than pruney fingers has got to be more desirable to the opposite sex right?

– We all know that tea breaks prove the perfect procrastination during those all-nighters but only fill the kettle with the amount of water you need, this saves electricity and, whether you like it or not, means you waste less time away from that essay.

– Fill the washing machine to its full capacity. Halving the energy used by two poorly- filled cycles also means you avoid the drama of that favourite top being at the bottom of your laundry pile on a Friday night.

– Close the curtains at dusk to stop heat escaping from windows. This energy-conscious habit has the added advantage of allowing you to dance around in your undies when getting ready for a night out without the fear of neighbours’ judgement.

– Night in with a film? Keep the TV turned off at the plug rather than switching it to standby. So, if you insist on sitting around alone watching Bridget Jones feeling sorry for yourself (a very typical case of post-Valentine’s Day blues), at least burn those extra five calories walking over to turn the box on!

– Opt for paperless bank statements. Online you can constantly keep track of your spending habits, budget for those books you need, as well as that dress you’re inevitably going to buy, and reduce wasteful paper resources in the process.

– Recycle not just those unwanted paper items but clothes too! Charity shops offer a viable solution to those rapidly filling landfill sites. Plus, you might just find something new, unique and significantly cheaper to wear for your next trip to Evolve.