EWB host Global Poverty Project presentation

On Monday 20 February Engineers Without Borders (EWB) hosted the Global Poverty Project’s 1.4 billion Reasons presentation.

The Global Poverty Project is an organisation which aims to eradicate poverty and educate a global audience about how this can practically be achieved. Its main aim is to end to extreme poverty within one generation. So far the organisation has reached over 400 million people across five countries.

The organisation’s name is derived from the fact that 1.4 billion people worldwide are living on less than $1.25 a day, which provides people with 1.4 billion reasons to take action.

University of Warwick graduate Gori Olusina Daniel delivered a practical understanding on why poverty exists, and explored several case studies in how communities in developing countries have tackled poverty. Daniel looked at factors such as equitable trade, appropriate and adequate aid, and working towards reaching the Millennium Development Goals, in addition to smaller changes such as buying fair-trade products.

108 students from various departments and universities such as Coventry and Aston were in attendance.

The presentation was organised by EWB event coordinators Sally Biddlecombe and Rebecca Wooding.

Biddlecombe, said: “The event was a great success; the presentation wasn’t just theories in how to end extreme poverty but gave real solutions in how everyone can play their part.”

EWB is dedicated to breaking down barriers to development and eradicating poverty through appropriate technology solutions.