Editor’s pick for 2012

With award season fast approaching and critics taking a glance back at 2011 to pick their favourite films of the year, it feels appropriate to also take a look forward to what awaits us in 2012.

Below are 15 exciting films arriving in our cinema’s in 2012.

**Red Lights** 2nd March

Robert DeNiro, Cilian Murphy, Sigourney Weaver.

Following the success of 2011’s Buried, Rodrigo Cortes returns with this psychological thriller. Murphy and Weaver play a psychologist and physic’s graduate, who aim to study and disprove events of supposed paranormal activity. This eventually leads them to investigate a world-renowned psychic played charismatically by Robert DeNiro; however, the further they delve the more danger they find themselves in.

**The Hunter** TBD 2012

Willem Dafoe, Sam Neill

Daniel Nettheim’s first film see’s Willem Dafoe playing a mercenary named Martin, who’s sent to Tasmania with the sole objective to hunt the mythical Tasmanian Tiger. However, during his search through the Tasmanian wilderness he stumbles upon some uncomfortable truths, about the nature of his task and those who’ve employed him.

**Moonrise Kingdom** 25th May

Edward Norton, Tilda Swinton, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis, Harvey Keitel

Wes Anderson returns with a dull looking film about two runaway children. I kid, I kid. Anderson never seems to aim to make anything other than highly ambitious films, and Moonrise Kingdom seems no exception. The story (as it often is) is simple, two child lovers flee their New England town, which leads to a local search party embarking upon a search to find and retrieve them. However, upon seeing the trailer, you realise nothing is as simple as it first may appear, featuring some seemingly inspired casting, beautiful art direction and cinematography, Moonrise Kingdom looks like another fascinating chapter in Wes Anderson’s already colourful filmography.

**Prometheus** 1st June

Michael Fassbender, Idris Elba, Charlize Theron, Guy Pearce, Noomi Rapace

Ridley Scott returns with (in his own words) a ‘prequel’ to his now infamous Alien franchise. Prometheus follows a team of space explorers in their search to discover the secrets behind mankind’s very existence. However, their journey leads them to a dark corner of the universe, where they soon come to the realisation that they’ll instead have to fight just to ensure the future of the human race. Scott has proved his masterful touch blending sci-fi and horror once before and with a fine cast featuring Idris Elba and Michael Fassbender, not to mention a huge budget, the expectations for this film have been set very high indeed.

**The Avengers ** 27th April

Robert Downey Jr, Scarlett Johansson, Chris Hemsworth, Samuel L. Jackson, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Evans, Jeremy Renner, Gwyneth Paltrow.

Since the day marvel began to bring its comic franchise to the big screen, fans across the globe have been wetting themselves in anticipation for this very moment.
The Avengers sees (S.H.I.E.L.D.) bringing together the superhero ‘dream team’ of Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Hawk Eye; with this powerful collective fighting to save Earth from the threat of Thor’s evil brother and fellow Norse God Loki. If you’re a fan of the fast paced, tongue and cheek approach of the marvel franchise in recent years, or if you simply feel the need to revisit Scarlett Johansson in her black leather combat suit, The Avengers is quite simply, for you.

**The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey** 14th Dec

Elijah Wood, Evangeline Lilly, Martin Freeman, Orlando Bloom, Ian Mckellan, Andy Serkis

Peter Jackson returns along with a few familiar faces from the hugely successful Lord of the Rings trilogy, to follow Bilbo Baggins on his quest to the Lonely Mountain to reclaim a stolen treasure from the dragon Smaug. This is the first of two film prequels to the Lord of The Rings, with The Hobbit: There and back again scheduled to be released sometime next year. Sure to be filled with spectacular set pieces, exquisite locations and ingenious costume design/art direction, fans of Jackson’s earlier foray into Tolkien’s tale, will be more than satisfied. If that wasn’t enough to tempt you, news that Guillermo Del Toro (of Pan’s Labyrinth) is working on the screenplay and design of the many creatures of Tolkien’s world, should no doubt convince you to embark upon a visit to the cinema.

**Lincoln** December TBD

Daniel Day Lewis, Joseph-Gordon-Levitt, Sally Field

With Stephen Spielberg at the helm and Daniel day Lewis playing the film’s protagonist (Abraham Lincoln), the film adaptation of Doris Goodwin’s biography of perhaps the greatest US president in history is already sounding incredibly exciting. Though the biography is all encompassing, the film is due to focus on the last few months of Lincoln’s life, the eventual abolition of slavery and the Union’s victory in the civil war. With a fine cast featuring Joseph-Gordon-Levitt, Tommy Lee Jones, David Strathairn and Sally Field, a huge budget of $50,000,000 and John Williams in charge of the film’s score, Spielberg’s Lincoln promises to be a true cinematic spectacle.

**Chronicle ** February 1st

Dane DeHaan, Michael B. Jordan, Michael Kelly, Alex Russell

Josh Trank and Max Landis’ first feature film has generated a lot of buzz online due to its intriguing and mysterious premise surrounding three friends, who acquire superhuman powers, only to use them for personal gain. Things begin to escalate when one of the boys begins to use his newly found powers for darker purposes with huge consequences. Similar to J.J. Abrams’ Cloverfield (2008), Chronicle is yet another ‘found footage’ film, however, distinguishes itself from its contemporaries due to its smart script, hectic pacing and engaging performances from its three young protagonists. At under 90mins Chronicle makes a thoroughly thrilling, ludicrous but worthwhile sci-fi thriller, which raises questions about how easily greed can overcome and manipulate.

**Skyfall** 26th October

Daniel Craig, Javier Bardem, Judie Dench, Ralph Fiennes

When production on the 23rd Bond film was suspended midway through 2010, (due to MGM’s financial problems), many were left wondering when and if the popular franchise would ever return. Many fans also feared the worst following the disappointing Quantum of Solace (2008) had failed to match the quality of Craig’s first appearance as Bond in Casino Royale (2006). However, now that MGM has somewhat hurdled its financial problems, the latest film to be based on Ian Fleming’s spy classic is generating great excitement. Skyfall focuses on Bond’s loyalty to M being challenged following revelations about her past, nevertheless when MI6 is attacked, it is once again down to 007 to eliminate the threat, by any means necessary.
With a talented cast featuring Javier Bardem, Judie Dench, Ralph Fiennes, Ben Whishaw and Albert Finney, academy award winning Sam Mendes (American Beauty ,1999) as director and a neat budget of $150,000,000, expectations are running high for Bond’s return to the big screen.

**Django Unchained** 25th December

Leonardo DiCaprio, Jamie Foxx, Christopher Waltz, Joseph -Gordon -Levitt

Quentin Tarantino’s much anticipated Spaghetti Western, Django unchained follows Django (Jamie Foxx) a freed slave who treks across the US with a German dentist turned bounty hunter Dr. King Schultz (Christopher Waltz) to rescue his wife Broomhilda (Kerry Washington) from the grasp of a charming but evil plantation owner Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio). Sure to be full of gratuitous violence, hilarious characters and Tarantino cinematically ‘winking’ at the audience of critics and fans who flock to see his latest work, Django Unchained is yet another ambitious project from the infamous auteur. With an intriguing cast that see’s Tarantino increasing his body of work with Samuel L. Jackson, Kurt Russell and Christopher Waltz this is sure to be one of the better (if bloodier) Christmas presents you’ll receive this year.

**Jeff Who Lives at Home** TBD 2012

Ed Helms, Jason Segel, Susan Sarandon

The Duplass brothers have created quite a name for themselves over the last few years, establishing and attempting to perfect their ‘mumblecore’ aesthetic. 2009’s Humpday and 2010’s Cyrus displayed their skill at creating an array of hilarious, yet tragic (usually male) characters stuck in their own specific social situation, struggling to establish proper relationships with people. Jeff Who Lives at Home, features two of the most talented young comic actors to have emerged in recent years, with Ed Helms (The Hangover, The Office) playing alongside Jason Segel (How I Met Your Mother). The film is about two brothers both dealing with their own specific problems, with one going through a failed marriage, whilst the other still lives in his parents basement at the age of 30. Whilst the film will undoubtedly feature moments of utter hilarity, the lightness of touch the Duplass brothers have gained recognition for, will ensure that the film harness’ a unexpected and affecting emotional resonance.

**The Dark Knight Rises** 20th July

Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway, Marion Cotillard, Joseph-Gordon-Levitt, Morgan Freeman

Following the untimely death of Heath Ledger in 2008, Christopher Nolan’s ‘The Dark Knight’ became one of the most talked about films on the planet. However, despite many flocking to see Ledger’s last sensational performance, the film was equally impressive in its own right. Nolan believes that his audience is intelligent enough to want to be challenged as well as thrilled during the course of his films. Therefore whilst his films (especially of late) might be big Hollywood blockbuster’s, they are built upon (in his mind) the most important layer, his foundation ideas. Following the astronomical success of ‘The Dark Knight’ and the hugely popular (though somewhat divisive) Inception (2010), Nolan is ready to return with the final instalment of his batman trilogy.
After taking responsibility for Harvey Dent’s crimes (purely to salvage his reputation) Batman is hunted by the Gotham police, only to return 8 years later to uncover the truth behind the myserious Selina Kyle (Anne Hathway), whilst struggling to stop a new villain named Bane (Tom Hardy).
With a rumoured Budget of $250 million, a superb cast featuring many actors Nolan’s worked with before and what’s sure to be another outstanding score from Hans Zimmer, The Dark Knight Rises will undoubtedly take box-office’s by storm. I for one am hoping that this undoubtedly talented director can end this franchise on a high.

**The Great Gatsby** 25th December

Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, Tobey Maguire

I like many are decidedly anxious about Baz Lurhmann’s take on the F.Scott Fitzgerald classic ‘The Great Gatsby’. It is without a doubt my favourite piece of literature and such a rich story deserves a fitting representation on screen. So whilst Lurhmann’s extravagant approach has proved successful in the past, his methods are fairly divisive and as ‘Australia’ demonstrated, his huge ambition can sometimes prove too great.
However, with a more than capable cast featuring Leonardo DiCaprio (Jay Gatsby), Carey Mulligan, Tobey Maguire, Isla Fischer and Bollywood legend Amitabh Bachchan, I’m praying that such a fine story can be done justice. A story of both obsession, excess and tragedy, ‘The Great Gatsby’ has all it needs to be adapted into a fantastic film. So perhaps the extravagant, theatrical approach that Lurhmann brings, along with what’s sure to be stunning art direction and solid acting , will prove to be the perfect combination to bring this literary masterpiece to life.

**Dog Fight** September TBD

Will Ferell, Zach Galifanakis

Based on the real life snl sketch that is the Republican primaries. Will Ferell and Zach Galifanakis team up to play two rival South Carolina politicians who both have their heart’s set on making it to the white house.
Little else has been divulged about the project and whilst many may regard Ferell’s recent comedic efforts as being rather ‘hit and miss’, his most recent film, The Other Guys featured a sharp script and excellent performance from both him and Mark Wahlberg. One can only hope that Galifinakis and Ferell’s on screen comedic partnership is as strong as it looks on paper.

**The Master** 2012 TBD

Philip Seymour Hoffman, Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams

Following the huge success of his 2008’s 158 minute (cinematic monster) ‘There Will Be Blood’ , Paul Thomas Anderson embarks upon his next ambitious project. ‘The Master’ surrounds the story of Lancaster Dodd (Hoffman) an ambitious and charming intellectual, who creates a faith based organisation, following the carnage of World War II. He encounters a drifter called Freddie Sutton, who aids him in his quest and eventually becomes his right hand man.
However, as the organisation starts to grow in both recognition and following, Sutton finds himself questioning what he has helped to create and the true motives of his persuasive mentor.
The plot involves a fictional religion known as ‘The Cause’ which has been easily compared to that of modern day Scientology. Steeped in mystery, with a fine cast featuring the overdue return of the talented Joaquin Phoenix as Freddie Sutton, you cannot help but be excited by Paul Thomas Anderson’s latest project. Clearly a director of great ambition,imagination and technical skill (all qualities which are on display in ‘There Will Be Blood’), his handling of such interesting material is sure to be both provocative and stylish.
If you needed further persuasion over the film’s great promise, the fact that Anderson is again teaming up with Radiohead’s Johhny Greenwood, who produced such a hypnotic score for T.W.B.B., should be all you need.

Honourable Mentions :
**Gravity** – Alfonso Cuarón

**Frankenweenie** – Tim Burton