Resolution or retribution?

The New Year is upon us and where would it be without the annual setting of New Year Resolutions? Now, whether or not your intentions stem from noble wishes to better yourself or from your recent chocolate over-indulgence, most of us do take part in it, making a definite need for a bit a friendly guidance on the matter.

So I find myself asking – why do we bother with this seemingly strenuous activity? Can they actually benefit us? And deep down, do we actually make them in order just to break them?

A good place to start is reflecting on the past year and basing your resolutions on things you would like to change. Another motivation behind your resolutions could be to become a more affluent person, be it in through achievements in your work, by improving your relationships or just in general.

A lot of us also tend to make resolutions just for the sake of it or just to join in with friends or family, without the intention of actually keeping them. So whatever your reasons, keep reading for some ideas and tips to keep your resolution – making as stress-free and promising as possible!

Some of the most popular resolutions include spending more time with family and friends, to quit smoking, to lose weight or to learn something new such as a language or a musical instrument.

However, if conventional isn’t your style, a few slightly different resolutions made in the past could inspire you. These could include reviving your childhood by re-learning how to make sounds out of blades of grass or how to burp the alphabet, to break a world record, or to learn a weird skill such as playing the accordion or Origami.

Now setting the resolutions is one thing, but keeping them is a whole different matter, so follow these tips to help keep you on target:

Be realistic.

Psychological research suggests that resolutions need to be a balance between realistic and challenging, so ask yourself how hard the resolution will actually be and how far you are realistically willing to go.

Be clear.

Don’t just create some vague plan to, for example, ‘go to the gym more’. Instead make yourself promise to go to the gym twice a week.

Spread the word.

By telling your friends and family your new resolution, they could help motivate you when your New Year’s buzz starts to fade. You could also find a fellow resolution buddy and you could help to motivate each other. Even better.

Stick to it.

Experts say that it takes 21 days for a new activity to become a habit and up to 6 months for it to become part of your personality. Don’t give up after one slip – no one is perfect so keep at it.

Whatever you want to achieve from this coming year, now is the best time to start.

Follow the tips above, keep positive and reap the benefits. According to the Mayans, this is our last year on Earth, so we might as well make it a good one!