One World Week Sport returns

One aspect of One World Week, which will be running from the 20 – 28th January 2012, will be the many sporting events that are show cased across campus. Sport is a large part of the ‘mosaic of cultures’ that One World Week looks to create, by giving students the opportunity to take part in a wide variety of entertaining activities.

What is promised to be a ‘true festival of sport’ will include several sporting tournaments and events on campus, ranging from martial arts to lacrosse.

One World Week’s biggest sporting event is the One World Cup, a thirty-two team five-a-side football tournament that replicates the format of FIFA’s World Cup. The tournament is open to all students, of all levels of ability. It is spread over three days, with the group and initial knock out stages taking place on the 21 and 22 January, with the semi-finals and final on the 27 January.

This year, after the successful launch of the FIFA ‘12 video game, this will also become a part of One World Week Sport. The singles tournaments took place last Friday, and the finals will be held on Friday 27 January.

A range of taster sessions will be available for newcomers to have a go at different sports, so there are plenty of opportunities to get involved at all levels.

This year, One World Week Sports have also been awarded the prestigious London 2012 Inspire Mark. This mark recognises One World Week’s contribution to sport and to the local community. It has been awarded to a range of projects in conjunction with the 2012 Olympics which recognise innovative and inspirational projects. Also in the style of the Olympics, OWWlympic Athletics will be holding races to unearth the fastest athletes on campus, which will take place on Thursday 26th January.

Other events that will feature in the nine-day festival include three-a-side football, six-a-side cricket, seven-a-side touch rugby and seven-a-side hockey tournaments. The Varsity Ice Hockey game between the University of Warwick and Coventry University also took place on the Monday of One World Week.