One World Week: And so it begins…

This weekend sees the start of One World Week, the yearly event to celebrate cultures and traditions from around the world. This year the event has been completely rebranded with a new website, new merchandise, and everything has been carefully selected to create a fresh and lasting brand.

This year’s One World Forum plays host to The Future of Energy: A Power Struggle, a debate featuring a number of high-profile, influential speakers including Adrian Gualt, Chief Economist from the Committee on Climate Change and Kevin McCullough, Chief Operating Officer of nPower.

The Sports festival also features a number of exciting events, in particular its OWWlympic Athletics, which, in the spirit of the 2012 Olympics, aims to find the fastest man and woman at the University.

This year the society did not receive as much sponsorship as in other years, and some cuts had to be made. International DJ night, which last year saw Mark Ronson come to Warwick, has been cut from the programme due to the sheer expense of the night, and therefore of the tickets.

One World Week engages 225 students to be responsible for the running and managing of the event, a slight reduction from previous years. Event coordinators, Julian Ried and Michael Pan, claim that this has given those involved more responsibility, made the event more efficient, and has allowed for more personal development.

Pan, a third-year Physics and Business student, said; “International DJ night isn’t really what One World Week is about anyway. It focused on one individual, while our aim is to showcase a variety of talents, perspectives and cultures. We have loads of other events which we think students will enjoy just as much, if not more.”

The event gives cultural societies the opportunity to showcase the wide variety of activities at Warwick and also provides a platform for them to display their unique cultural traditions, dances and food.

Ried has been involved with One World Week for three years running and is convinced that it is one of the events that make Warwick so special.

He said, “I have always wanted to give students the opportunity to broaden their international perspective. One World Week is a great way this can be achieved.

“It brings people together as the competitive element is removed and it is about working together, raising issues and trying to dispel ignorance about the rest of the world.”

Students’ Union Societies Officer Matthew Rogers added, “It’s great that One World Week is integrating home students far more into the event too with the return of the UK and Ireland festival day. The whole week is brilliant and beneficial to students. If you’re hesitant about getting involved, don’t be. There really is something on offer for everyone.”