Going out with a bang

If your heart didn’t shatter into a million pieces or you didn’t shed at least one tear during 2012’s final episode of Sherlock, I can now firmly confirm that, yes, you are dead inside.

Truth be told, I was a bit worried I would not be able to write this review, but alas, despite my red puffy eyes, slightly sore head and having been buried under my duvet with only Tumblr to comfort me, I have just about managed to pull myself together to try and give the episode some sort of justice.

The cast and crew of Sherlock continually stress that they can justify producing only three episodes of Sherlock a season because these three episodes are the equivalent of mini-feature films. I must admit The Reichenbach Falls felt like a film; there was so much crammed into the episode, never once feeling rushed yet leaving you exhausted at the end. The storyline was not particularly loyal to the Conan Doyle version, but then again, The Final Problem was an extremely short adventure for Sherlock, and, in my opinion, had nowhere near the same level of fun, wit or focus on the manic qualities of the villain.

This episode saw Jim Moriarty return to our screens. With his snake-like mannerisms and childlike persona, he broke into three of the most secure complexes in England, simply to prove that he could. The moment he allowed himself to be caught, dressed from head to foot in the Royal attire, and fully equipped with a manic grin across his face, viewers knew he was up to something. The criminal mastermind would not allow himself to be caught unless he had a plan.

This plan is later revealed in the form of a fairytale and is metaphorically a very contemporary comment on today’s society, albeit one that has been said. The viewers are introduced to Sherlock reluctantly adjusting to his new found fame. He is being pursued by photographers, flirtatious journalists and being forced to wear ‘the hat’ – and guess what? He absolutely abhors it. However, Moriarty uses this to his advantage and his entire plan revolves around destroying Sherlock’s new reputation and causing the media, the police and the public to turn against him, believing that he is a fake and a fraud. This is something we face day-to-day in which tabloids and magazines love destroying people’s favourite stars.

Steve Thompson delivered an episode full of twists and turns, which planted the viewers permanently in John’s shoes as they tried to desperately keep up with Sherlock and his incredible mind. He was on top form but he had little choice, seeing as Moriarty was quicker and sharper than ever, particular when he pretended to be Richard Brooks, an actor whom Sherlock had hired to play ‘the bad guy’ to his hero.

For me, the greatest element to this finale,and for the entire second series, was the growing friendship between Sherlock and Watson. Their relationship has been classed one of the essential reasons Conan Doyle’s small books, which he initially did not regard very highly, became so popular. I think we can safely admit the duo started the trend of ‘Bromance’ present in almost all present day literature or television. This episode shows the pair get even closer as Watson sticks loyally to Sherlock’s side and refuses to believe any of the lies circulated about his best friend. Even in the tear jerking finale when Sherlock begs John to believe that he is a fake, John stays strong and refuses to believe him.

The acting is this episode was phenomenal. The scenes between Benedict and Martin were particularly moving, especially when viewing them with the literary knowledge of what was inevitably to come. You can’t imagine the parts being played by any other actors – hence why my blood is currently boiling at the news that the CBS have just commissioned a ‘modern-day’ Sherlock set in New York (wow, original idea guys, well done). Martin Freeman’s ability to make his voice continually break whilst Watson holds back tears truly shows why Peter Jackson was willing to postpone filming the Hobbit just to guarantee this iconic actor play the lead. Furthermore, it will be an even greater atrocity than last year if Benedict Cumberbatch does not win a Bafta for his performance. His conversation with John just before he heroically sacrifices himself for his best friend saw the austere sociopath’s exterior crack as tears streamed down his face yet still, completely keeping in character, as he stood up confidently and would not allow John to truly see his distress.

Overall, the episode was fantastic. It left the viewers begging for more particularly due to a very tantalizing cliffhanger at the very end of the episode. At 10.30pm, a sea of people poured onto the world wide web to discuss theories, explanations and rationalisations for what they had just witnessed. The Sherlock gods, Moffat and Gatiss were clearly loving the reactions of their loyal fans as they gleefully tweeted ‘Of course there was going to be a third series, it was commissioned at the same time as series 2.’’