Four apprehended over bike thefts

Four non-students were detained when 25 bikes were stolen from campus between October and November, after the campus Security Services team and West Midlands Police conducted a successful plain clothed operation.

The operation, which was commissioned following the sudden rise in thefts, saw between eight and ten staff staying on duty once the day shift had finished, from 4-9pm, throughout the week.

During three separate incidents, four (non-student) males, aged 17-20, were arrested on the charge of being equipped to steal.

They were found carrying a small bolt cropper and junior hacksaw.

All four males have been ordered not to enter campus; two have been given official warnings, one is to appear at Coventry Magistrates court next week, and the fourth remains on bail awaiting a decision by the Crown Prosecution Service. Since the operation, and up until 4 January, only two bikes have been stolen.

To combat the problem, 200 D-locks were given away throughout the year to all staff and students that registered their bikes.

The registration scheme involves recording the serial number of the bicycle, and the owners’ details so that retrieved bikes can be easily returned. Over 500 have so far taken part.

PC Mick Parkes, who was involved in the operation, said that basic cable locks are easily cut through and should be avoided.

He will be registering bikes and distributing free D-locks, and strongly advises anyone that regularly leaves a bike on campus to sign up.

He stated: “it is safe to leave a bike on campus, but it can be made safer if the cycles are left secured to a recognised anchor point – there are 152 cycle racks on campus – and fitted with a D-lock.

“Like anywhere in society thefts happen, but the student and staff community can also help by using the correct devices to secure their cycles and to report any suspicious behaviour immediately.”

40 bikes were stolen from students and staff on campus in 2011 compared to 31 in 2010. All of the pedal bikes stolen were either secured with a cable lock or not at all.

PC Parkes adds, “the security team on campus play a massive, usually unseen role in trying to keep the community safe. They will remove cycles that are not secured to a safe place on campus and try to contact the owner if the cycle is registered.

“If not, they will look after the cycle until the owner reports it missing – sometimes 5-6 weeks after its recovery!”

For more information about registering or D-locks contact PC Parkes on 07920 531290.