Band, where’s the fourth father?

Marc Riley of 6Music loves Doyle and The Fourfathers, therefore that means they are definitely cool. This band has been working with Graham Sutton so expect some great stuff to come. Are we looking at the future of Britpop?

**So who is the fourth father?**

William: The allusive fourth father…

Alex: We left him in Inverness.

**What could I say about your sound?**

William: When we started hesitating on this question, it starts to sound that we’re going down the direction of we can’t be pigeon holed but its not true, we’re just not really sure, …alternative pop?

Alex: That will do.

**What are your songs about?**

William: Recently, its sort of changed, the new songs we’ve got are sort of more political tunes, because I thought there was a bit of a vacuum especially in the indie music scene of bands being a-political I felt that we needed to write some direct stuff from the left standpoint I suppose we’ve got. So those songs are more direct, they’re about the economy and protests because I wasn’t hearing any of that around, so that’s the latest sort of strand of it, but now I’m going off in another direction…

**So are you leaning to the left?**

William: Yeah, well yeah, I don’t know how partisan I am now, because I voted Lib Dem and now I feel a bit…

**Cheated?**

William: Yeah, I don’t really know who represents me now. They had a chance, but well it wasn’t about that in the end… apparently. The Green Party perhaps, Arrh we don’t want to start talking about politics ha!

**Have you learnt anything from this tour?**

Long silence Michael: Drink more.

William: Lager is boring.

**How’s tour treating you?**

Ben: I look forward to eating The Undertones food, the other day they had carrots, I hadn’t seen carrots in ages.

William: I had a bottle of water the other day, I’d forgotten what water was like, we’ve only had lager for a while.

**Tour stories?**

William: We drove into a house once.

Alex: We play, ‘what if’ a lot, like ‘what if, I fell out the van at 80 miles an hour.’

William: That’s not a story Alex.

**Is touring the most important part?**

William: I’ve struggled to enjoy recording until recently, but we’ve just recorded some songs on a boat which was a really awesome studio called Lightship95. Ben: Ha in some places this tour, we’d finish a song and it’s be like Bam ! Nothing. I think it shows they’re listening haha.

**Off the back of this what’s your plan for the coming year?**

Michael: We’ve got the EP Olympics Critical coming out in February.

**What’s that about?**

William: We don’t know really, it’s something a builder said to John (manager) near where he lives in London and they were doing some construction work and he asked how long it was going to take and the guy said it was Olympics critical and we just thought that was a funny phrase. There’s loads of different meaning to it, Welcome To Austerity which is about the cuts and the irony of being in austere times and then having to pay for the biggest sporting event in the world when we’re meant to be in an economic crisis and how much we’ve built, the stadiums and promotion involved. I’m quite happy with that, it’s a good title.

**Video for when will the children learn?**

Ben: Probably the coldest experience I’ve had.

Pete: (Manager) Entirely without permission, guerilla style, in an hour.

William: It looks alright, Pete’s not too sure.

Doyle and the Fourfather’s album Man Made is out now.