Are our degrees being devalued?

According to a recent study by the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA), more students than ever before are graduating with first-class degrees, leading to concerns of increased competition for graduates in an already tough job market.

The study reports a 50 per cent increase in the last decade of students receiving first-class honours degrees.

In 2011, a total of 53,215 firsts were awarded, compared to just 26,100 in 2002.

Even taking into account the rise in the number of university enrolments during this period, the proportion of students receiving firsts increased from 10 to 15 per cent.

Students’ Union Education Officer, Sean Ruston, links this rise to the recent increase in tuition fees: “If you look at the US,” he said, “as fees have inflated, grade inflation has followed.

“With more difficult employability, and [employers] who are interested in someone with at least a 2:1, students are under much more pressure to get the top grades – and academics are probably under much more pressure to give the top grades.”

At Warwick itself, a mere 3 per cent of students received firsts in 1980, compared to 23 per cent in 2010.

In response to this, a University spokesperson said that it was “down to the hard work and ability of our students.

“Remember in 1980 the University was just 15 years old and one of the UK’s newest universities – now we are 47 years old and have become one of the top ten research-led universities in the country.

“Each year entry grades have gone up for Warwick – so every year the academic ability of the students joining Warwick has risen [and] it is no surprise that their attainment on leaving Warwick has also risen.”

Ruston did not quite agree with the University’s position. “I’m not sure that’s entirely true,” he said.

“If the distribution has gone up towards the first level – whether that reflects Warwick’s world-class status, I don’t know.”

According to HESA, graduate unemployment has risen from 5.3 per cent in 2004/5 to 7.4 per cent in 2009/10.

With regard to specific subjects, the highest levels of unemployment can be found among graduates of Computer Science (13.1 per cent) and Mass Communications & Documentation (11.5 per cent).

Those suffering least from unemployment are graduates of Medicine and Dentistry (0.8 per cent) and Education (3.3 per cent).

Some students are therefore concerned that grade inflation could have a negative impact on their chances of finding a job.

Second-year Comparative American Studies student, Rowan Sullivan, said: “Well, obviously I’d prefer a first to a 2:1, but I don’t think it will make that much of a difference to me in the [job] market, because so many people are getting firsts.”

The concern is not limited to undergraduates. Kevin Awde, studying for a Masters in Law, said: “I definitely think the value of an undergrad has depreciated significantly, just because everyone seems to be getting one.

“To get the kind of job that I want to get, you definitely have to do a Masters.”

This is not, however, the case for all students considering undertaking a Masters degree.

Ryo Hanada, for example, came to Warwick from Japan to study a Masters in International Politics of East Asia, as it would be a good opportunity to improve his English.

Ryo feels that he would be able to find a job with his undergraduate degree, but said: “I just like to study – that is the reason [for studying a Masters].”

Ruston commented: “There’s a big concern about social mobility with Masters, because not everyone can afford to do a Masters and pay up front, and then those who can have an advantage in the job market.”