An alternative 2012 prediction….

Predictions can be a dangerous thing. If they turn out to be true, you can arrogantly bask in a mystical glory. Yet if they are proved to be false, you can be prepared to cringe at your supposed expertise. That said, Lord Sugar once infamously declared back in 2005 that by next Christmas, the iPod would be “dead, gone, finished, kaput.” And if Alan (we’re on first name terms) can get away with making awful gaffes, then surely there will be no genuine harm in predicting what could be big this year in TV. 2011 saw shows such as Fresh Meat, Frozen Planet, Modern Family, Educating Essex and My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding gaining critical acclaim. Yet what does 2012 hold? Here’s what to watch out for:

**The Voice UK**

Have you ever wondered what it must be like to watch the X Factor blindfolded!? Fear not, because this year the internationally successful The Voice is coming to the BBC. Is it yet another musical talent show? In short, Yes, but there is a big difference. The judges (Jessie J, Will.I.Am, Sir Tom Jones and Danny O’Donoghue) are faced away from the contestants and thus cannot see them when they audition. If they like what they hear, they can turn their oversized chair 180 degrees in a sort of homage to Davros from Doctor Who so that they are facing the contestant and can enjoy the rest of their performance. It is therefore only meant to be about ‘the voice’ and not about whether their dad is dying of a rare disease or whether they have tattoos of the names of girls that they have slept with on their bum. Hosted by Holly Willoughby and Reggie Yates, The Voice UK starts in March on BBC One.

**Awake**

This upcoming US science-fiction drama follows the life of the detective Michael Britten, portrayed by Jason Isaacs, (A.K.A Lucius Malfoy) who manages to survive a car crash. His wife and son were both in the accident and though they have both survived, both have also died too. Michael lives in two realities; one where his son is alive but his wife is dead, and one where his wife is alive but his son dead. Its pilot had critics lining up to praise the drama who likened it to Christopher Nolan’s thriller Inception.

**Miranda**

Miranda Hart’s semi-autobiographical sitcom returns. More awkward innuendos, more slapstick humour and more Heather Small sing-a-longs. Series 3 of the award-winning comedy is bound to be successful in 2012 – as long as it is produced in time. Hart has publicly stated that it will probably air late in the year, twenty-four months after the last series concluded. Get your act together Miranda! Stop appearing on panel shows and write the damn series.

**Bad Education**

Fresh out of Fresh Meat, Jack Whitehall will continue his acting career by starring in Bad Education. Written by Whitehall himself, the comedy will centre on Alfie, who has been described as “the worst teacher ever to grace the British education system.” For Whitehall, 2011 was a year packed full of success – a sell-out tour, continuous awards and rave reviews for his performance in Fresh Meat. Whitehall will certainly not be slowing down in the new year: having his own sitcom is only bound to strengthen his position on the comedy scene.

**Mad Men**

For four years running, Mad Men has won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Drama Series. Season 5 will finally air this year. For those of you who have never watched the series, it is a drama about the advertising industry, set in 1960s New York and largely focusses on ad executive Don Draper. Mad Men has been taken off BBC Four and will now be shown exclusively on Sky Atlantic in March. Well done Murdoch for stealing yet another successful television programme and forcing people to buy Sky (!).

**New Girl**

Girlfriend, has your BF ever cheated on ya? Well fear not, because now you can relate to Zooey Deschanel who stars in the US sitcom New Girl. Ever since she starred in (500) Days of Summer, Deschanel’s career has flourished. She is known for her delightful girl-next-door appeal and a US critic has praised her sitcom performance, stating that “[she] will fill the room with light even if you’re watching on an iPod.” Still raw from her break-up, Jess Day moves into her new flat, where she meets the dysfunctional trio of Schmidt, Winston and Nick and ends up forming an unlikely relationship with the guys. You can catch it now on E4.

**The Olympics**

A bit of an obvious choice here, but it will be hard not to escape the ‘Olympic Bubble’ that this country will be engulfed in for two and a half weeks. The BBC is to halt all its normal scheduling, with even Eastenders rumoured to be taken off the air for the duration of the Olympics. For those of you who do not really care much about sport, the opening ceremony will be your best bet, which is also bound to be the highest rated television programme of the century so far. The likes of Paul McCartney, Adele and Coldplay are all rumoured to be playing at the ceremony, but nothing is confirmed as of yet. What you can definitely expect however is three hours of enthusiastic dancing, flag-waving and a horrendously cringe-worthy speech from Boris Jonson. The Olympics start with the preliminary rounds of football on 25 July and you can catch it live on the BBC.