Size matters! (But not in the way you think)

It is a common belief that what you wear determines how good you look, and to an extent it is true, some things look great and some things don’t; you simply have to choose correctly.

However, something I have noticed is that some people buy the new ‘it’ items thinking they will look ultra-stylish in them but then make the mistake of sticking to their dress size adamantly. It is no surprise really, seeing as we live in a world obsessed with size, people are keen to keep their ‘size 10’ label for example, but not only does this mentality have a negative effect on our self-esteem, it doesn’t help in making us look any better in our outfits!

One of my major concerns when I am shopping is the fit of the garment. I will say it now, and say it again ‘Fitting is key’- make it your mantra. If you are obsessed with your size 10 or size 16 label and use it for every item of clothing, you may end up wearing an outfit that does not look good on you. When an item of clothing is too big or too small, has a weird cut or does not suit your body shape, it doesn’t suit you at all, which is why it is important to make sure the fit of your clothes becomes your priority.

I know this all seems obvious but people (myself included sometimes) can often disregard the fitting of an item because we love it so much and this often has negative consequences, (imagine the horror of everyone avoiding looking at you because the buttons on your shirt are popping off because the size is too small)

Here are a few tips for shopping for the perfect size:

1.Ladies, when going out shopping wear good underwear. It creates a nice silhouette and ensures that whatever you are trying on sits properly.

2.Try before you buy! I know this can be a pain and I hate doing it, but it is so important. What looks good on the hanger may not necessarily look good on you (I know from experience!)

3.Take 2/3 sizes of your garment into the changing room to try on and see which fits better. Don’t hesitate in buying a smaller/bigger size than usual.

4.If you find it hard deciding whether something looks good on you, take a trusted pal or family member with you. I find my mum is the best person for this job as she tells it like it is.

5.Do not settle for less! If you are looking for a specific item of clothing, for example a blazer, and you find one but the fitting is not great…do not buy it- Keep searching.

6.Make sure you feel comfortable in your clothing. There is no point buying something if you know you are going to feel self-conscious about showing too much cleavage and the dress being too tight, or worrying that you look huge and shapeless because the size you bought was too big.

So, in the run up to Christmas when many of us will be shopping for an amazing outfit, either for the big day or the numerous gatherings that will follow, I ask, please, please, do not be hesitant in picking up a different size if it fits you better, you will look all the more stunning for doing so!